Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little project

Default Little project

Here is a couple aluminum brackets I made for a condo at the beach. The larger one holds a 1/2" rod with canvas over it and is made to remove the canvas in the winter and the smaller one holds bottom brackets. We couldn't find replacements quickly so I made 4 of the larger ones and 2 of the smaller ones. All made from 1/4" alum. The stud is 5/16" stainless and gets a stainless wing nut
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Those are cute little nippers. Well done.

shore beats waiting a week for them to come in the mail or driving all around town looking for them. man its nice to have a welder around.

i see you photo shoped out a not so nice looking weld bead. we would not have held it against ya, aluminum is a pain. as long as it holds good cosmetics will come in time, the other one looks realy nice.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Question

"photo shop" ?? All I did was put the parts on my desk, take [2] pictures and download them. I have no clue how to "photo shop" them. I just did learn how to make them small enough to fit on here you know Mega bit size and all. They were always too big to fit. They are the same parts in both pics! Just a little further away so you could see how small they were. Your right about the welds the larger one has some nice ripples, the smaller is more flat with very small ripples. Thats a problem I have mentioned on here before. Sometimes I get nice ripples other times a smooth weld. Maybe too hot or not enough filler, not sure, I keep trying different ways,I have sawed some welds apart before and the smooth welds are just as good as the nice ripples, so they are good welds just not as nice looking. I'm not sure how to doctor pics but if I did know how I would not do that because thats not a "real" picture and I have no one to impress anyway, You can't learn anything from posting a fake pic! I don't mind constructive ctiticism so I post them as they are. Just to clear that up.
    Last edited by HMW; 05-16-2007 at 08:29 AM. Reason: spelling
    Scott

Default Hmw

Next time I gotta make some little bitty parts and pieces I'm gonna send em to you. It's amazing how much time you can put into them little parts with out even realizing it. Looks good though. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

not ment to be mean, just had to throw it out cuzz the one was blury. to tell the truth i cant do any thing with the photo shop eather i think i have a few programs that are suposed to do stuf but never took the time to figure them out, just not important enough to bother.
    i know what you mean about a smooth bead, i ran some steel the other day and it looked like i just layed down a solid bead of calk, no rippels at all just smooth one long bead no rippels at all. i think you are right about it being too hot as the cause, but it wqas a good solid joint so i just went with it and didnt worry about it. i think travel speed and heat both play a big part in getting good rippels. i lerned on O/A and as such had a lot of solid beads as i would just keep it wet and keep a solid feed going with the filler and moveing along. once i started TIG i would back off the heat a lil to help let the puddle freez up when i backed the torch up to add filler.
    microsoft has a great resizer program on there web site for windows XP if you have that system on your comp. i can get you a link if you would like. its a simple program that dose a great job at resizing the pic without making it blurry. lots of people on here use it as i do and i have been using it for a wile with no problems. its fast and simple and alows you to do a hole folder full of pic's at the same time, you dont even have to open the pic.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

dabar39
    you can send me some i got plenty of time for lil stuff, just not in the midle of the day. i cant do the 9-5 thing but i'm ok at the 11am-2pm&4pm-6pm and 9pm-11pm& 3am-5am. kinda hard to find some one willing to hire me to work those Hrs though some people just get all hung up on the show up on time every day thing.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Smile

The camera I used is the one we have at work and it acts strange. For one thing everytime you push the button to take a picture, it takes [3] pictures. We can't figure out how to turn that function off. I'm sure there is but we've not mastered it yet. also all 3 pics are different if you move the slightest, probably the cause of the bluriness. I also learned to weld with stick first [done that the most] then O/A, brazing alot. Never used a MIG untill about 10-12 yrs ago and TIG in the last 3-4 yrs so still working on that.
    Scott

HMW, I figured 2 things:
    1) pic was blurry (some cameras give a lousy foreground or background). The
    sensors on some cameras aren't as good as others. Instead of focusing on
    the overall, they focus on one thing and everything else gets blurry.
    2) your weld just came out smooth for some reason. I've had that happen a
    lot of times too. when I get that, I use my dremel tool to "make" the nice
    ripple" effect!!! Nah, I would never do that!!!!!!
    Welds actually look really nice!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by HMW View Post
    The camera I used is the one we have at work and it acts strange. For one thing everytime you push the button to take a picture, it takes [3] pictures. We can't figure out how to turn that function off. I'm sure there is but we've not mastered it yet. also all 3 pics are different if you move the slightest, probably the cause of the bluriness. I also learned to weld with stick first [done that the most] then O/A, brazing alot. Never used a MIG untill about 10-12 yrs ago and TIG in the last 3-4 yrs so still working on that.

That is a feature called bracketing, (I think, or something like that), it takes a picture at the exposure settings you think is right, then does one at more light and the third at less light.

One of those special features that gets turned on and hard to turn off...

the other thing it could be is if the camera is set to action or sports mode, it will do quick bursts of pictures.

Long exposures due to low light require a tripod. Long exposures give you a greater depth of field, ie, sharpness in a larger area of the focus range, but will often require a tripod or a really steady hand. The best snapshots are from brighter light environments, the camera can use a faster shutter speed and smaller aperature, thus get a good depth of field or sharpness through the entire picture.

Cool parts.