Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default New Guy - Q. about Power Req.

Hi all,
    I just found the forums yesterday. Looks like a great site.

I just bought the Millermatic 180 and thought I had my shop ready to go with the right power requirements. Not so. I have a 220 line ran on a double 20amp breaker thatís about 10-12 feet from the box. Itís run with NM 12/2 wire with the wrong type outlet.

For fear of burning it up or just not being able to support the draw of the welder.

My question is this. Should I re-run a heavier wire with a larger breaker? Something like a #8 wire with a 30amp or even a 50amp breaker with a #6 wire? Iíll also need to install the right outlet for the welder (the name alludes me at the moment).

Spec Requirements:
    1-Phase, 230V, 21.7Amp, 60Hz

Thanks in advance for the help/guidance.
    Jim

Your breakers are matched pretty good to you welder. The wire size is fine just change the outlet to the one you need.

Agreed. The National Electric Code agrees also.

That welder will work just fine and safely on #12 wires, esp. at that short distance. You should even replace the breaker with a 30A and leave the #12 wires, if this receptacle is dedicated for welder use only.

Just replace the receptacle with a NEMA 6-50R.

WOW, such quick responses.

Thatís fantastic news. I was wondering about leaving the wire in place . . .
    I've read a lot about hooking a dedicated outlet up for this welder and found that most if not all ratings are based on Amps. /draw.

I just wanted to double check Ė safety and all, ya know.

Thanks a mill, guys.

Jim