Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Hmw

Thanks for not making me do all that typing to explain as that is exactly what I was referring to. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Glad I could help
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Default Molten Weld Puddle

The only thing I could add is that while you are watching the shiny molten puddle immediately next to the electrode, you can also see the colour change in the weld metal next to the puddle as it 'freezes'. When you learn to watch both you will be able to keep track of where you are in terms of proper fusion & eliminating undercut at the toes of the weld, and also where you have been in terms of how much weld metal has been deposited and how wide the bead is.

Some quick tips as you learn - before starting your welder put an electrode in the holder, position yourself over the workpiece and pay real close attention to the angles. Electrode angle should be 1/2 of joint angle, so when welding butt welds (180 degrees) electrode should be 90 degrees to seam when viewed from end. Next to check in electrode inclination angle. For most SMAW procedures, you will want a backhand technique which has your electrode pointing approx. 15 to 20 degrees opposite to the direction of travel or back into the puddle where you came from. This is viewed 90 degrees to the weld. When you get a handle on this, then work on short arc and long arc lengths and learn what they do.

Just practice. You'll get it. We all had to start somewhere. Some of my first welds looked like someone was flinging monkey sh*t with a slingshot!!!

i understood what the weld pool was i was refering to what did you mean by getting ahold of it?? as in did you mean lerning to drive it around where you wanted it or what it should look like and so forth. but iyt looks like all aply.
    i realy gotta get off my but and give this stuff a try. seems like stick can be verry usefull to know, even with MIG & TIG already as an option.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Smile

"as in did you mean learning to drive it around "

Thats funny !! but actually true
    Scott

is it showing that i dont do this for a living. well or at all yet for that matter.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

No it doesn't, I'm joking

I've learned something from everybody who has posted on here
    Scott

no kidding, lots of good info to be found here.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Where I've worked before, and know, TIG and MIG is NOT an option! All using stick.
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

put some fire in that wire! been a while since i ran that stuff but its got to be hot. same with 7024. learn how to run 232 wire and you will flat out smoke other welders out. with 232 i can smoke any wire feeder. plus its hard. used for structural. learn your lo/hy rods thats what most people use in construction