Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Aerowave vs Dynasty 350

I haven't bought a TIG welder since the 330 Airco/Miller I got used in 1972. It seemed to always do what we needed to do, and the selenium rectifiers in it are still doing fine. (self healing, you know) If we had anything difficult, we sent it out to somebody with a good synchrowave and a steady hand and were always pleased with the results.
    Lately, we've been asked to do a lot of difficult stuff, primarily 1/4 aluminum. It's welding we had no hope of doing in house, and we haven't been very pleased with what we've gotten back. Much of the problems are design related, which we don't have too much control over. Prints show things like a 10 inch long strip of .060 alum welded at right angles to the center of a 1/4 alum plate, with a 3/16 fillet welded specified. I don't like having to tell a customer "we can't do that."
    So we've been considering investing in equipment and taking some of that work back in house, to get better control over the results. None of our outside welders seem to think that there is any sense going beyond the
    synchrowave, given their mix of work.

Anyhow I've been searching around for somebody with a Dynasty 350 who would let me play around with it, and the best I could do was that a friend had purchased an Aerowave in 2000. I spent about a half an hour with it on Saturday, and I was completely blown away. What an incredible difference.

I've probably only welded myself for 10 or 12 hours in the last year, since most of the time nowdays I sit in front of a computer, but within 2 minutes I was running 3/16 - 1/4 beads on 90 degree intersections between 1/8 and 1/4 aluminum. (3/32 2% cerium, 220 amps fwd 120 amps reverse 300 hz) (at max pedal, which I didn't need) These weren't outside corner welds, but T intesections. (easier to manipulate, but harder to get the heat) I found the difference nearly unbelievable. Since I'm out of practice, to say the least, I found especially nice that when I dipped the tungsten a bit, instead of a huge black cloud, the mistake was barely noticable. I wish I had brought along some .060 alum to try to weld to the 1/4, but I didn't bother, since I assumed it would be not possible.

So my question is: Since the Aerowave isn't available any more, how good of a job did Miller do with the Dynasty 350 to replace it? Is there anybody out there who has had experience with both?

I don't remember the specifications exactly, but I believe the Aerowave has more adjustability than the Dynasty, near as I can figure from the on line manuals. I think the Dynasty hides some things a few menu levels down, that can be done with a button push and a knob twist on the Aerowave. In my experience, anything too hidden won't get adjusted, and the advantage of the control is completely lost.

The other end of the extreme we have been avoiding is the very low end on thin stainless. How does the Dynasty 350 do on welds like 5 to 10 amps DC on 22 ga polished stainless corners? I know friends are routinely using less than 5 amps on some of that work (no rod), and that's below what the Dynasty 350 is rated for, though the Dynasty 200 says it goes to 1 amp.

Anybody out there with experience with both? Comments appreciated.

Airco/Miller 330 (prox 1961)
    Airco/Miller TS250 Mig
    Trumpf TLC105
    Haas HL42P
    Soudronics Orbital Tig

bump

I can't believe no one has awnsered this yet?
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

I too am sorry I cant help you, I have a Dynasty 300 and I think its the cats meow compared to the 250 synchrowave.

What I can tell you is that I dont mess with the controls on my dynasty too much, theres more control than I could ever possibly use.

I found what I will call the sweet spot for the majority of my work and I dont go one way or the other to far outside of the sweet spot zone.

If I were to take a guess I would say the aero wave has a little more adjustability.

But thats only a guess.

We have both Dynasty 300's and 350's at work. I haven't had a whole lot of time on the 350 yet but it seems to work just a little nicer than the 300 and the 300 is a great machine!
    Unfortuneatly I have no experience with the Aerowave so I can't be of any help comparing the two.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

i have aerowave full feature and love it i tried the new 350 at sema and honestly if you ask which is better i would say my aerowave by the smallest of margins .
    Miller aerowave full feature
    Lincoln power mig 300 with prince gun
    dynasty 200 dx
    lincoln sp 135 plus
    302 trailblazer
    s22p12
    powcon starcut
    cp 400 metal spray

The controls on the Dynasty were derived from the Aerowave. I just looked back thru the manual for the Aerowave, and the only things that I could see that the Aerowave did that the Dynasty 350 will not is that the Aerowave could control the time in your initial amperage value while using the sequencer (used for automation). You actually gain this ability back while hooking up the automation interface kit for the Dynasty 350, but like I say it is typically used in automation applications. The only other thing that differs is that the Aerowave went down to 1 amp and low end, and on the Dynasty 350 low end is 5. These are the only differences, other than the Dynasty having the ability to adjust some of it's features far beyond what the Aerowave was able to.

Some of the New things that the Dynasty has that the Aerowave did not.
    - 36 savable programs- 9 for each polarity and process
    - 4 different waveforms- Triangular, Adv Square, Soft Square, and Sine Wave
    - Ability of using the sloper while using the spot feature on the machine
    - Dynasty 350 will spot time for 999 seconds vs the Aerowave's 30 seconds.
    - Adjustable OCV for stick welding
    - Dynasty is smaller and about 200 lbs lighter and is capable of nearly the same output (Aero-375A, Dyn-350A)
    - Dynasty 350 is Auto-Line equipped. Easy to hook up to your power, power savings, and smaller circuit breaker size
    - Dinse adapters make it easier to hook up leads

These are just some of the benefits that I thought of. There are probably more. In short,,,, The Dynasty will do everything that pretty much any user would ever need it to.

Brad H

Question

why did they not take it down to 1 amp ?? is it that much trouble to get to the lower amp's ??? seems like the new wonder welder would have it all coverd.
    i suppose you could adjust it to soften the arc, but that may not always lend its self to the application at the time.
    not that we wouldn't all love to have a Dyn 350 and a Dyn200 but it seems a hard way to get the 1 amp option along with 300.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

set it to 5 and turn the EN down
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

I havnt used a D350, but I have the D300; it will do what you want just fine, and make you look good when you do it.... easy.

Thanks for the good input. Been talking to the sales people today.
    Of course every thing is the greatest to them. I did get the suggestion that to get below 5 amps you can just go to pulse mode. 5 amps at 50 per cent
    duty cycle is essentially 2.5 amps if your switching frequency is fast. He said he had a customer welding .007 thick stainless bellows with a Dynasty 350 in a mechanized setup.
    We're really wishing we had a Dynasty today. When you have brushed stainless meeting at 90 degrees, you really don't want to get too much heat into the joint.