Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passport or 211

Default Passport or 211

Okay, I've seen this has been asked many times but I'm mostly interested in the thinner gauge capabilites. I currently have a 210 and am very happy with it but I have very little shop space and looking for something a little smaller. The 210 does very good with thinner gauge but I really haven't heard much on the passport. I have read that the passport does beautiful welds because of the inverter technology but nobody has mentioned anything about the thinner gauge stuff. The 211 obviously has more amps but every post I can find on the passport mentions its nice arc, is it really that much better?

I only really do car stuff so 3/16 is usually max, perhaps 1/4" every once in a great while. More than often though is sheet metal.

I have done some sheet metal work with my passport and it did just fine. I loed .023 wire in it and started welding. I did end up using a bottle of C25 because it has less penetration then straight CO2. But C25 spatters a bit more on the passport. This is because it is tuned to the CO2.

-Dan
    Owner
    DW Metalworks LLC
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 8RC Feeder
    Miller Passport Plus
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
    Hobart Handler 135
    Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
    Smith O/A Torch Set
    Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

I would mostly have the welder in the shop hooked up to c25. When people talk about how nice the arc is on the passport, are they talking with only straight co2?

Quote Originally Posted by floundering View Post
    I would mostly have the welder in the shop hooked up to c25. When people talk about how nice the arc is on the passport, are they talking with only straight co2?
    I like the Passport over the MM211- although I haven't had much time on the MM211 so still getting the feel of how it welds.

The Passport wins hands down on Portability
    **** near Spatter free with CO2- I have not run C25 on it, probably won't since it welds so nice on CO2.

20g,18g, and tons of 16g

Foot print: yes the Passport is smaller but by the time you stick it on a cart big enough to hold a bottle the foot print will probably be pretty close to the MM210.

Lot of money spend to save on just a couple inches on space.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

i know this is a miller board... but you might want to check out that esab caddymig200. It's ridiculously lightweight and in the same price range as a 211. Only cons.. not spool gun compatible and only 220v.

I understand you are looking for strictly in shop/garage use but my two cents are as follows. If you know for a fact you will never want or need the pick up and go capability, the 211 would be great. I find myself using my Passport far more often for everything though. The arc is excellent, and it has fantastic power in the 115 mode, far better than other smaller machines I have used and owned. 230 is downright mean as someone else said, for a small machine.

Something you don't need of course, doing auto body work. Perhaps look for a far cheaper 115 only option if KNOW you will only ever do such work. Duty cycle becomes less of an issue with that kind of stuff, because you know you must go very slow with the process to avoid the warpage. I did the fenders on my old motorhome with a Lincoln SP135 Plus and it was fine. Still, I like the softer arc of my Passport over that machine.

I cannot imagine not having the Passport in the arsenal now. Really amazing and totally worth the extra cost to me. Think hard as to how often you may even WANT to transport your machine as it's a hassle to move a cart, machine, bottle, cables, etc. combo. You will not get it up in a truck bed or even onto a trailer, w/o help or a ramp. I got tired of all that. Passport allows grab and go option if need be. The fact it has no wheels is no problem. I moved mine 8-10 times today on a job only because of the cable length limitations, which is the same with the 211 as well.

Passport Plus is a very well thought out package and I am glad I got it. One of the best tool/equipment purchases I've made...ever. Tales I read of users who accidently had Passports fall from scaffolding, etc. told me the machines were much more robust and hence pushed me over the edge to get one. I like more HD internals in anything I buy so it was a no brainer. I think resale would be better on the Passport as well. IMO.

Best of luck, let us know what you get.
    Last edited by iceman8; 03-29-2011 at 07:24 PM.

I have a cart that holds about 4 suitcase size welders and two bottles. Currently I have a dynasty 300dx, cooler, and a hypertherm 600 on there so there is one slot left on there and room for another bottle. A suitcase sized welder would work perfect and just allow me to gain the space back that the 210 takes separately.

I really don't need the portability but it would be nice in case the need ever arises. I'm really just looking for something smaller. I was really ready to just get a mm211 but keep seeing these posts on how nice the arc is on the passport. I have used mm130, 135, 210, and the 250. I'm just a hobby user but the arc seems fairly similar on all of them to me. I have no complaints and this is actually my 2nd 210 that I've had. I just keep hearing such good things about this inverter arc that it has me intrigued. One user even stated that his welds are now 200% better! Even in this thread alone, the people that have them talk very highly about them.

Cost is not really that big. I would probably be buying used and have seen the 211 and the passport both in my price range.

The ESAB looks really impressive also and is only $900 new. Anyone use oned of these? It seems it just came out and can't find much about it on the internet, at least with google. Thanks Matt922 for finding that. I would really like to research anything similar so I keep this next welder around for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by floundering View Post
    The ESAB looks really impressive also and is only $900 new. Anyone use oned of these? It seems it just came out and can't find much about it on the internet, at least with google. Thanks Matt922 for finding that. I would really like to research anything similar so I keep this next welder around for awhile.
    a guy on weldingweb took a shot in the dark with one and he loves it. It has a feature similar to the autoset on the 211.

about halfway down the page.
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=49854&page=2

Quote Originally Posted by matt922 View Post
    a guy on weldingweb took a shot in the dark with one and he loves it. It has a feature similar to the autoset on the 211.

about halfway down the page.
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=49854&page=2
    That's the only real world review I could find on that. I guess it's just too new. I really hate to be the guinea pig of a new product but that little welder sounds really impressive. Oh, decisions, decisions....

http://www.esabna.com/us/en/news/Caddy-Mig-C200i.cfm

I took a Caddy Mig 160 for a test drive.It is a nice little machine and I'll bet the 200 will be better yet.The one thing I did not care for was the gun....goose neck has a funny angle and the back of the starin relief is big and bulky.
    Last edited by big mike; 03-30-2011 at 09:14 AM.