Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default lincoln SAM-400, and SAE

Ok guys I found the gold mine so to speak. Remember how I said I found an old SA-200 in the weeds well, the shop next to it is housing a SAM-400 and and an SAE. Both run, or did run when they were put away in the shop. Both are in very good condition sheet metal wise, I didn't manage to look under the hoods but all three machines looked to be in excellent condition so i figured the insides couldn't be much worse. They belonged to a man, who passed away and no one is using them, his wife is going to call me in the next couple of days with prices, but the wife's daughter who I talked to said that both would go for 1000 dollars!!!!!!! Now she said she had to double check but even if I got both of them for 2000 dollars that would still be a steal wouldn't it? I know these machines are both highly sought after because of their rarity.

And I know some of you guys are familiar with these machines, could you give me some specs. Both are approximately the same size and similar in looks, both engine driven. I know they are both well over a ton, and are atleast 400 amp machines. Again I don't know the year either but I will ask next time I speak with the owners.

Thanks for any info guys,
    Mike

I forgot, which one would you guys consider more desirable if they were in similar conditions and age?

SAE 400's aren't rare, you can buy them brand new.

SAM 400's are CC/CV, but you can put a wire feed module on an SAE and have CV output.

Asking which is more desirable is like asking "which is more desirable, a dump truck or a one ton pickup".

Depends completly on what you intend to use it for.

JTMcC.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

thanks for clearing that up for me... I read on the AWS forums that the SAM-400s are hard to find parts for these days, is this a misconception or is there truth behind this.

Mike

I don't know, but if I wanted to know I'd find out who does most of the engine drive repair work in your area and ask them.
    I do know there isn't much need for repair parts on old school engine drive generators. They are pretty simple beasts with minimum electronics.
    The 400's are real workhorses, they'll put out about 650 amps maxed out. They are used by a lot of guys that run high amperage flux core wire for hours on end.
    My buddy sold a SAM 400 a couple of years ago for $5500, about 8500 hours on it. The SAE lists for about $15,000 new.
    He said it had more top end than either his Commander 500 or AirVantage 500.

JTMcC.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

The old SAM-400s were tough, but you had to need a lot of machine to want to pack one around.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff