Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question what # lens is best for Plasma cutting

what # lens is best for Plasma cutting,I just bought a miller 375 x-treme.
    want to do some funky cuts and need to see the pattern lines.
    is there a special type of pen or chalk I should use?
    any help would be great. thanks (the newby).

Smile welcome

i found using a cheepo engraver to go over my pattern is the best. it wont rub off and is easy to see from any angle. sharpies help also, but a $15 engraver is best for the tricky stuff. heat wont efect it and your glove wont rub it off.
    as for lense state. 5 is recomended, but i use my BWE in the off state all the time. i think that is a shade 3 or 4 . in the off state i'm still 100% protected from UV rays and the shading is just for comfort.
    on S.Steel and some aluminum you can ned a darker shade as its shinyer but for mild steel 3 or 4 is ok. as long as you have ful UV protection the shade is just for your comfort. the 375 is not that big of a cutter so you should be ok at a 5 (O/A shades).
    good luck, keep us posetd and lets see some of your work.here is a little of mine.
    good to have ya with us.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I've found that a #5 full face shield from Jackson works best for me.

Default thanks for the info

thanks for the info. will let you how things go

I also use #5 and mark my lines with a white out pen. Believe it or not the white does not burn away. You can cut right down the edge of the line and the white out stays. I belive its presto brand in the little blue pens.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

FUNFORNOW those POW pieces are great. I cant believe you did them all by hand..Thats awesome. Hey Newbie I asked this question the other day and I found that engraving first is great but also using a cut out of cardboard for the spots you need a steady hand for work real well also. Thanks for your posts..

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by waiwelser View Post
    I've found that a #5 full face shield from Jackson works best for me.
    I tried with mine but the reflection inside was too much- got a pair of #5 Sunglass style and also use my Optrel in Grind mode- shade 3

Fine tip White Paint pen.

It all depends on what I am doing. I have a #5 Jackson Face Shield that I use much of the time, especially when cutting circles in plate. I have also used a Hypertherm/Celstrom Clear Face Shield with the #8 Flip down for plasma cutting. This has worked best when using the plasma for gouging out welds. I have also been lazy and just used my Harbour Freight Auto Dark Welding hood when cutting too. It depends on what I am doing which hood/face shield I grab.

I haven't done allot of free hand with the plasma torch. I have noticed that soap stone marks get blown off by the air used in the plasma and burns them away as well. I am going to have to try that White Out Pen for myself, that sound like a good idea. I have gotten pretty good with my Miller Circle Cutter Guide and have some good metal straight edges of various lengths that I use. Most of what I cut out needs good straight cuts, no wiggles.
    '77 Miller Bluestar 2E on current service truck
    '99 Miller Bobcat 225NT for New Service Truck
    '85 Millermatic 200 in Shop

'72 Marquete 295 AC cracker box in Shop
    '07 Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 Plasma Cutter in Shop
    Miller Elite and Digital Elite Hoods

Wink cover your face.

i some times use my #5 sun glasses with mine also but i use a clear face shield with it. especially if I'm doing any piercing. all in all i like to keep my face coverd no matter what i use for my eyes.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES