Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Stationary sanders

What types of stationary sanders do you guys use and how do they work for you?I just bought a craftsman 2 in belt, 6in disc combo and it sucks.

greg1302,
    I have the same one you do, but I use it for small projects. Only! Not much torque! I saw 1 time a few years ago a small fab shop (aluminum mostly) have a much larger one (sears again). Think the round part was like 12" with the belt side was 8 or 10". Worked well for them, using it to cope round alum tubing and other things. 1 you and I got has such a small motor.... What are you trying to use it for?
    bert
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

I have a 12" disc from enco and it works really well.http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

Just get good discs for it
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Bert I use mine for small aluminum parts and for thin wall small diameter tubing. I had ordered from sears end of feb. showed up a week ago.

I use a Jet Multitool I got from trick-tools: http://vansantent.com/multitool.htm
    I bought it as an affordable belt sander but it is one of the most used tools in my shop.

I have the Grizzly Model G1276 (1725 RPM) 6"x48" Belt and 12" Disc combination stationary sander. It does a great job. Heavy-duty, rated at 1 HP.

Using a standard mitre gauge in the table slot (standard 3/4") it's easy to achieve near perfect bevels. Nearly every miter that comes from my chop saw goes to the sander for cleanup.

It's not inexpensive (approx. $500) but I have had excellent results with it.

I ahve a 6 x 48, two 2 x 72 and one of those Sears things with the disk sander on the side.

I don't use the Sears one, the others are my work horses.

Jerry