Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Hybrid Workbench

To me, blending woodworking and metalworking allows a better project. I used my Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC to weld a 10' by 30" metal framework of 3X3 tubing with 1/4" wall thickness. Added support framework for storage shelving is welded between the wheelbase using 2X2 angle iron 1/4" thick. With a metal framework, the span below the workbench tops is extremely open and allows much more unobstructed storage. 1-1/8" oak is attached to the metal framework with countersunk and plugged self-tapping screws. In the second photo, you can see the spacing of the doors and wood framework stiles. To help seal the lower storage area from dust or spills, plywood is screwed to 1/2X1/2" angle iron which was caulked and painted with an oil base paint (yellow surfaces).

Also, below the center folding doors is a long thin shelf made of 2X2 by 1/4" thick angle iron. It supports thick Masonite covers I use for the workbench Maple, Oak, and Walnut 2" thick tops when I'm working on heavy or greasy metal projects. When finished, they simply slide under and out of the way.

The "T-Shaped" length of 8ft. by 38" wide with the top of the "T" being 6'-6" by 36" wide. A 6'-6" tool tray is 12" wide and 5" deep. Total length of the mobile workbench is 12' and is on 6" casters that have brakes. Total cost of the finished workbench, including all the two "Twin Screw" wood-jaw vise-kits, was $850.00.

Question: After seeing so many hits on this post, I'm asking for MORE of you to let me know what you think of the "T-Shape" design, too.

Bill
    Last edited by BilljustBill; 02-25-2006 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Question

That's a beautiful work bench, Bill it'd be a shame to get it dirty! Truley a work of art! Thanks for sharing.
    Arcin' and Sparkin', Rocky D

"Experience is the name we give our mistakes"

That's very nice, Bill. I wish I was better at woodworking!

Mow

I had just about quit woodworking when I started welding, guess I should look at doing both. All I need is the time, great project, and useful too.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Good lookin' stuff, dude! Excellent combo of two great arts!

Very nice, almost too nice. Wouldn't want to be the guy who puts the first scratch in the top.
    When in doubt Weld It

Default The Tape Arrived

The NICE new tape arrived March 3rd, here in North Texas. When I also saw the cost of shipping, $5+, I fully realized the depth of Customer Committment and Service MILLER is STILL known for.

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!
    Bill

Default Dual Sport bench

New here but I like your bench. What do you keep stored inside it? I'd like to see more pics if you have them. What I would like to see most is more of the finished product. I definately will have to build something multi-functional myself. Did you reference one you had seen somewhere else or was it totally from scratch?
    If I missed the answers from somewhere else I apologize, just let me know and I'll keep looking.
    Last edited by fdburner; 03-08-2006 at 01:16 AM.
    Time to learn & Time to burn...

The workbench came from "collecting" materials for several years. I researched, read, hunted, viewed, and talked to gather ideas that I could mesh with the materials. I also needed an assembly table. \
    It appears all the American workbenches had a tool tray, so instead of wasting one side of the workbench, I decided to put it in between the two benchtops. Some people prefer a height of where the back of your knuckles would touch, but I made the height of the tops the height of where the palms of my hands are when my arms are straight on each side of my body. That's about 2"-3" higher and better for my back....

Here are two more shots showing a detail of the base framework without the benchtops which is the corner trimwork. The other show it with the end and center sliding storage shelves extended. They allow an easy way to organize power and hand tools as well as provide a short reach to use them.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Measure Twice, Cut Once!

I guess Bill will be parking outside the garage now! Or he'll be moving the workbench into the living room--afterall, it IS on wheels! Good Job!

Wood is great and easier on sawblades! You weld it with glue and sawdust!

Reminds me of an old carpenter joke: Young apprentice says to his boss: "I cut it twice and it's still too short!"

I worked as a carpenter with an old Jamaican who loved to bust nuggets. He'd say "Hit it like a maaan, not like a ooohman!"
    TA Arcmaster 185 w/TIG/Stick Kit
    MM210 w/3535 Frankengun
    MM140 w/o AS w/SM100 & CO2
    Hobart (Miller) 625 Plasma
    Hobart 250ci Plasma
    Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
    Lincoln Patriot Autodark (freebie)
    .45ACP Black Talons for those difficult jobs