Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Talking welding aluminum

I have a millermatic 175 mig . I would like to try welding aluminum with this machine . I am thinking about purchasing a miller aluminum conversion kit [liner , drive wheels etc. ]. That would be cheaper than buying the spool gun . I have been advised that the conversion kit does not work very well . Can anyone clue me in on this ?

I don't think that Miller makes a conversion for the MM175 to do aluminum, I think Lincoln is the only one that does that. You can get a 4" roll of .030 4043 and try it as is, keep the whip as stright as possible, the wire and spool tension should be only enough to feed the wire. You will be using 100% argon as gas and can run it about 25CFH to start with, and some like to run a .035 tip (I never did but they say it helps). Try about 1/2" stickout and about 1/4" from the work peice and be sure to push the weld. With some practice you can do it, but it can be frustrating.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Default Welding aluminum

Hi

I tried welding with a lincoln SP135 plus with the aluminum liner & roller kit and had nothing but problems. I could'nt get the wire to stop bird nesting. My suggestion to you is dont waste your money.

Thumbs up aluminum

had a buddy that wanted me to show him how to weld alum. he had a small lincoln mig. i think we wasted a 1 lb roll trying to get it set he only had a 10ft whip and it keep bird nesting at the feed rollers. never had mush luck like sundown said keep the whip as stright as possible. good luck
    miller bobcat 250
    wc 115a
    spoolmatic 30a
    centery 250 mic
    2 lincoln 225 stick
    a 1954 hobart portable welder w/ willies jeep engine

Definitely hold off till you can afford the spoolgun. Tried this once & almost created a drinking problem. In the ideal situation if you could hold gun & cable in a straight line it might not be bad, but that doesn't usually happen in the real world & as soon as you move a little out of line , big birdnest.

4043 is soft and doesn't feed as nice as 5356. I haven't had any experience running AL wire through push feeders but I was told 5356 works better for that application. Only have push-pull and spool gun experience.
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

yep defenetly go with the 5356 wire insted of the 4XXX wire. and then still try to keep the gun as strait as possible., miller dose have a aluninum liner for it i can dig up the part #'s if you want. i dont know off hand if i have the book in here or out at the shop. i have herd of some people haveing acceptable results with the 175. not a good long term solution but if you get lots of aluminum work its best to invest in a better option like the MM210 and spool gun. if you are going to have the work it will be werth the investment. for the rare ocational thig the 175 should be able to get the job done on thin stuff like 1/8"
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by ingog@shaw.ca View Post
    I have a millermatic 175 mig . I would like to try welding aluminum with this machine . I am thinking about purchasing a miller aluminum conversion kit [liner , drive wheels etc. ]. That would be cheaper than buying the spool gun . I have been advised that the conversion kit does not work very well . Can anyone clue me in on this ?
    http://www.readywelder.com/10250.htm here is the link to the one you would need. I hope this helps

i've never wire welded aluminum, but my dad used to and he hated it. of course he was on top of a utility pole under an asbestos tarp, who would blame him?
    anyway, i asked him about the spool gun once and he said the wire is so soft that the spool gun is the only way, besides tig, because it has such a shorter distance to travel.

you dad is right to a cirten extent, the spool gun is the best option but with 5xxx series aluminum wire its doable but still can be a pain. the 5xxx series is much stiffer than the 4xxx is.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES