Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BBchevy396 View Post
    I have a TA 300TSW, and would put it up against a 300 Dynasty any day. It surely fills the gap left by Miller.

I was badgering the Lincoln rep not long ago, about why they left a 300 class inverter out of their lineup, being the Invertec V350, is such a solid performer. (I have one). Add AC to it,.....and whamo,..... a winner.

His response, was a "new" 300 class Lincoln AC/DC inverter tig, has been in R&D for some time, and should be on the market for next spring.

We'll see.

Well there you have it!!!

This is at least the third thread on this forum about this topic and if I am correct, with no response from Miller. With the track record they have about keeping secrets...Hobart included ...who knows what they are up to???

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    Well there you have it!!!

This is at least the third thread on this forum about this topic and if I am correct, with no response from Miller. With the track record they have about keeping secrets...Hobart included ...who knows what they are up to???
    The longer they hold secrets, the more customers they could be losing. If they can at least tell what their plans/goals are, many people may wait and see what happens before making their next purchase. It would be nice if Miller would help us understand what is in their minds, why they made the decisions they did, and what they plan to do in the future.

..otherwise, all we can do is speculate and criticize...rather than understand.

I cant speak for the Dynasty 350, but any thing that my Dynasty 300 cant take care of thickness wise, I would probably prefer to use my cobra matic Push Pull on anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by KB Fabrications View Post
    I have more work and testing to do but my preliminary results are super positive. If you have any questions, I will do my best to try and answer them.
    Hence you now know why the Aerowave was so awesome and THE premium machine for years.

I also agree the 200 to 350 machine jump is a ridiculous gap for the inverter family and I don't understand Miller's reasonings. I am not afraid to weld with any quality machine, I could care less if it is or is not a Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by Billet Benny View Post
    I am not afraid to weld with any quality machine, I could care less if it is or is not a Miller.

Me either...but....I chose to spend MY MONEY on Miller

To be honest I am seting my sites more towards the 700 now....seems like a better deal for my shop and I am sorta looking at a used one even tho now it is a bit out of my reach.

As far as secrets go if Miller doesn't invent a new portable mig I'll be working on getting a new HH210 from Hobart. Be nice if they'd let us in on those plans as well. A mig twin to my Dynasty would be perfect!! (both voltage wise and appearance)

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

ITW is pretty smart. Whether Miller or Hobart, they aren't going to announce to the world--competitors as well as users, that they have a new machine ready to debut. Think about it, how many users of Miller are there compared to maybe a couple hundred who read this board. I woudn't divulge my development plans either. While it looks as if there is a gap in their product line-up now, you have to realize they don't redevelop an entire product line from 150-700amps within a single year. They've made their high-end machines one year and the 150 another year. I'm sure they are working on a refresh to the 200, and if it is like other mature products, they will be sweetening the design either with new features, increased amperage, or both. Remember the XMT-304 that became the XMT-350? The syncrowave 180 that became the 200? ITW reads this board, so they've seen the comments--don't worry.

Miller does have inverter-based Migs--the Passport and the MM-350. I'm sure in the future there will be more models to fill out the line-up since these models have already proven themselves to be so successful.

-dseman

Quote Originally Posted by dseman View Post
    While it looks as if there is a gap in their product line-up now, you have to realize they don't redevelop an entire product line from 150-700amps within a single year. They've made their high-end machines one year and the 150 another year. I'm sure they are working on a refresh to the 200, and if it is like other mature products, they will be sweetening the design either with new features, increased amperage, or both.
    The point isn't that the 200 amp machine needs anything...it's that there is a huge gap in power and price, when looking at the 200 vs the 350. If they plan to fill this void, they should have done so at the same time they dropped the 300 dynasty machine.

By not offering anything in that gap THIS YEAR, many people may give Lincoln or Thermal Arc their business. If they are happy with that purchase, Miller may never get their business back.

LIke I said, our company is going to need new machines THIS YEAR, as many are going out of warranty. They will be looking to me for advice on what to purchase, and I just cannot honestly tell them that the 350 Dynasty is the best choice, considering price, and functions. In the past, it's always been a no-brainer, but not this time.

I never meant this thread to be an indictment on Miller and the way they market or design machines. Yes I said they made a mistake by having such a big gap in their inverter line and I stand by that statement. The fact is though, the 350DX works and works well. Miller isn't responsible for me knowing how to use it other than to provide basic information as to how to set up the machine. I have taken the time to figure out how to use the **** thing and I can honestly say it works as advertised. I still wish I hadn't bought it but I can't in good faith say it doesn't work, It does work and works very well.

That said, no one needs a 350DX to successfully weld aluminum like I stated before. Don't buy the ****ing thing if you don't feel the need or the want. Let Miller do whatever they will and if it suits your needs, fine, buy it. If not, go elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by KB Fabrications View Post
    That said, no one needs a 350DX to successfully weld aluminum like I stated before. Don't buy the ****ing thing if you don't feel the need or the want. Let Miller do whatever they will and if it suits your needs, fine, buy it. If not, go elsewhere.
    They need feedback...cause that helps them learn what machines will sell.

I think they have pretty much tapped out the utility of the present technology. The latest bells and whistles just don't amount to anything very helpful, from my experience.

I like Miller products, and hope I don't have to go elsewhere...but I can't expect them to read my mind and guess at what I want/need.

If any company in todays market places thinks they can do what they did before, they will not be in business long.

People will always shop on two major fronts, price and value. The price shoppers are a tough sell, but they still spend money. The Value shoppers take more effort and a better product to close the deal.

The technical feedback is really important. If any machine has great advanced features, but the "typical" welder could not put metal down with it, that is really important info.

On the other hand, if a machine's interface was constructed so well that any welder could use it with the experts being able to adjust it to fit any application, I would say that is a market leading approach.

On the other hand, if the interface was not so good, well...

If any mfg does not spend time training it's users, even the best designed interface will fail. The assumption that users will just "know" is typically a flawed approach.

For me, give me a simple interface with two modes :

simple mode : covers 95 % of typical welding, turn on, set amps and weld

advanced mode : let's an informed welder adjust parameters for fine tuning welding parameters, turn on adjust and save settings

The key here word here, "informed welder" how does someone get informed?