Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool metal for go-kart frame??

I am going to build a go-kart and I am wondering what would be a suitable material for the frame?

Thanks!
    Casey

Why did you start two threads for the same question?

If you have to ask, you shouldn't be building go-kart frames, but that seems obvious, so you'll probably not like that answer.

Did you do a Google search? You can find plenty of instructions on how to build them, including the proper materials.

Hey Mac.........why do you not tell the ones with electrical questions to google. If you didn't like the question then why did you post.

If all we had to do to get info is to google....then this forum is not necessary
    for just about everything has been discussed at one time or another and to search would find it. But we do have the forum and this is how it is used. Lighten up!!
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Any number of things can be used for a go-kart depending on design. Most are common steel pipe or tubing.

I'd have to agree with Mac here, the question was extremely vague.

What are the capabilities of the questioner? Can he weld or glue stuff together? What kind of equipment is available? If a minor, does he have proper adult supervision to insure he doesn't get hurt building or operating this thing?
    What kind of go-cart, will it be powered by a chevy small-block or a Briggs?
    For competition or weekend play?
    Proper material oftentimes depends on the design, and not all materials throughout the frame will necessarily be the same shape, size, or thickness.

Best thing for this questioner to do is to do a little more research on his own, figure out what he wants to accomplish and how, and come back with some more pertinent and specific questions.

Most people posting electrical questions here at least have a rudimentary knowledge of the subject, know what the final result needs to be, just doesn't know how to tie it in with codes and load capabilities. For the most part, purely technical and specific questions, not, "I want to wire my shop, how do I do it???"

Even people coming asking welding questions, even the most basic, that's what we're here for, get valid answers as long as they demonstrate a real interest, give a little background, and show they did some research on their own (at least enough to know some of the terminology). But if you come with a question, first post, "How do I weld??",period, you're not going to get much of an answer.

I think you guys need to read the post. The person asked a simple direct question of what would be a suitable material to make a go-kart frame.
    How about round or sq tube in steel or alum or chrome moly. They didn't ask for you to prejudge their age, knowledge, skill level or what equipment they
    may have. A go-kart is a small frame with small wheels and a small engine. I never have seen a car engine in a go kart. If you have to make it large enough to handle a car engine, it's no longer a go-kart. If the machine is larger than a go-kart it generally called a atv or a small dune kart or buggy.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Most typical smaller go-karts for kids are built with 1"x.083" HREW tube. Larger adult karts use 1.25"x.120" HREW.

If we knew what you were going to use it for, we could give better advice.

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    I think you guys need to read the post. The person asked a simple direct question of what would be a suitable material to make a go-kart frame.
    OK, monte, here's an answer. Suitable material includes angle iron, pipe, round tube, square tube, rectangular tube, channel iron, plus in certain places, plate and flatbar. All of these can be steel, in a half-dozen different alloys, or aluminum, also in several different alloys. The CORRECT answer depends on the factors I listed above in my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by calweld View Post
    OK, monte, here's an answer. Suitable material includes angle iron, pipe, round tube, square tube, rectangular tube, channel iron, plus in certain places, plate and flatbar. All of these can be steel, in a half-dozen different alloys, or aluminum, also in several different alloys. The CORRECT answer depends on the factors I listed above in my previous post.
    Why couldn't this have been the first answer?????????????????????????
    This was my point.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Unfortunately, some of us just aren't as "touchy-feely" and PC as one might wish, you just gotta read between the lines .. .

Getting a good answer is dependant upon asking a good question . . .