Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Yep what they all said
    garthswelding@aol.com trail blazer 301g with all the fixins:delta band saw dewalt chop saw craftsman drill press, sp-135 mm251 spectrum 375 suite case mig, tig w/hi freq. one welding truck.

There are several good brands of grinding wheels and cut of wheels. I have found your wasting money by buying "cheap" ones. They wont last very long. I buy Walter brand from my local welding supplier and they last very good. Kinda pricey but last twice as long as a cheap one. I have used Norton and Dewalt they seem Ok too. They also make 2" and 3" cut off wheels for your air die grinder with a 3/8" hole in the center. same as air tool made to cut off exhaust. I like those alot. They will fit in a tight place better.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Default cut off wheels

Any welding supply store that you go into will have cutting wheels, commonly refererd to as zip discs. There are stianless/aluminum, aluminum and steel. From 4 1/2 to 7 inch to choose from. I like the stainless/aluminium as they are good for all material and seem to last a bit longer, made by Walter.

Quote Originally Posted by garybdavis View Post
    I have four of the 4 1/2" grinders, but never used a cut off wheel in one
    Cut off wheels are the best thing since sliced bread was invented...

I guess I must be learining something! After I read the first post, I thought
    CUTTING DISK !!! Anyway, I use mine a lot. I have a sears, makita and bosch. Just remember ot flip the bottom washer over, as the cutting disk is thinner, so when you tighten it, it doesn't spin
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

I got a chance this past week to cut off the collars. I picked up a hand full of SAIT cut off wheels at my LWS for my 4 1/2" DeWalt grinder. I took the guard off, used a 6"x1/16" size, flipped the washer/nut over to get it tight and went at it. I wedged in a couple of flat head screw drivers to lift the collars up. I nicked the pipe in a couple of places, but not very bad. Anyway, it took me maybe 10 minutes to cut five of them off ( a total of 10 cuts - two on each side).

Thanks for all the feedback as I now have a new cutting method in my toolbox!

glad to here you got the job done and found a new tool. not so happy to here your first exersize was to remove the guard and install an over sized blade.. the 4.5" blades will do just as well at cutting and would alow you to keep the guard on. i know the guard can seem like a real pain but you realy need some thing there to kep you hand from sliding down the tool into the blade. i took off my guards and cut them back a bit to expose more blade but still leave some guard there to protect my tool hand. some thing yoiu might consider.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by garybdavis View Post
    ...I took the guard off, used a 6"x1/16" size, flipped the washer/nut over to get it tight and went at it....
    Glad to hear you got lucky.

Talking

I have a pretty decent sized scar from a cut of wheel that exploded on me a couple of weeks ago. And had the gaurd on too. It tore right through my glove and stuck into my hand. Cut-off wheels are very fradgel and are easy to bend when cutting. If you bend them to much then they'll turn to shrapnel on you. I always make it a point to treat them with a certian extra level of respect in regards to saftey precautions do to there lack of strength

Glad it worked for you but If you can put the guard on. I also have a pretty nice scar, and half of my thumb is numb [10 stitches] from a grinder and it had the guard on. I was using a grinder to open up the slot on a steering arm on a tractor and holding the part with my left hand. The grinder grabbed the piece and went right up my left thumb. Of course I wasnt wearing gloves [stupid] as most mechanics dont, I do now though when grinding.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]