Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Is Walter a brand name?

Home Depot sells the Norton and Hilti brands. I bought the Hilti once (50% more money) just so I could tell their stupid salesman that they don't last longer (they don't.)

Yes , Walter is a brand name.

Bullet Industries sells a good 41/2 inch cutoof wheel about 50 Cents... each. Can get some at Harbor Freight for about 60 cents each... either will work fine and take care of the collars. They will fit your grinder just fine. You can get a grinder (orange handle one) on sale now I think for about $17.95. from HF. "stay with orange handle one (the best).
    But as suggested, clamp the collar down so it wont slide, and also put some "tin can stock" between the collar and the pipe to reduce damage to the pipe. Good luck.
    Jim

using o/a would be the quickest way with out a doubt and with the slack in the couplin you should not have to worry about knicking the pipe.The heat might discolor the pipe though.A cut off wheel would do a nicer job without any damage to the pipe but will take a little longer and you will have to make sure you can clamp the couplin down so it won't move on you

A word to the wise, don't buy the grinder on sale at Harbor Frieght! I was in a jam and needed one fast. I bought it and it lasted two hours before the internal parts started on fire. I returned it for another one, and this one lasted a whopping 45 minutes before it too started on fire! There was plenty of snow on the ground at the time, so no big deal, but it could have been! I bought a 10 amp Dewalt and have put it through the paces for 2 months and it is great! I'm not saying spend $100 bucks on a grinder, but for anyone looking for one, get a quality product and you'll be much happier!

Default cut off wheels

i get my wheels at NAPA i get 8 wheels for 5.00 1/8 or 1/16 they seam to last the longst
    miller bobcat 250
    wc 115a
    spoolmatic 30a
    centery 250 mic
    2 lincoln 225 stick
    a 1954 hobart portable welder w/ willies jeep engine

Bareback Jack
    the grinders at HF are kind of a crap shoot, some have had great luck with them, others same as you. i have 2 B&D's and 2 portacables. the portacables are by far a much better option. i have herd the B&D quantum (green one) is a good choice and at $45 not too hard on the wallet but i have not tryed them yet, probly get one when my next B&D dies, it lost a front screw just the other day so its on its way out, they changed the casing collor so i cant swop them out at wally world any more.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I agree, the cut-off wheel will work best but you need to take your time and be careful not to cut into the pipe underneath. Let us know how it worked.

Fun4now, I've got two of those B&D 4.5's (black and grey) and I like them. Dad found them on sale at Ace for $20 bucks!!! He bought one and I tried it, liked it, so we bought another one because we go through them so quickly. For $20 they are great. Not as good as the Dewalt I've got now, but for $20 bucks.....