Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default What method to cut this off?

I've been asked to cut these pipe rings off some playground equipment. The small pipe is 2 3/8" and the pipe rings are 2 7/8". There are four or five of these pipe rings and they are not welded into place, so I can slide/rotate them. Taking the rest of the playground fixture apart to remove the rings is not an option.

I have a portable oxy/act rig on my welding trailer which is one option. I also have a portable air compressor and an arcair K4000 that I recently set up for my TB302. So, those are my two choices.

Which would you use?
    Attached Images Attached Images

You could use the torch but I would probably use a 4 1/2" grinder with a
    3/64" cut off wheel. Nice and clean and not to much fire flying around. If in a hurry the torch will do fine. I don't think I would use the arcair on it. Don"t really need all that. We usually use the arcair for cutting thick welds off or gouging a pin out Just my 2 cents worth

if you cut across the hole, you'll have about a third less to cut with the zip wheel
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Default cut off wheel

I would do exactly what HMW said and use a cut off wheel. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Use a cutoff wheel on a 4 1/2 inch grinder. slide a piece of tin can underneath the collar to cut down on scaring the pipe as you cut the collar.
    Jim

Go with whatever makes you comfortable. The cutting wheel is a good choice because there is less heat and it is clean. The O/A method is fine if you are handy with a torch. Whatever method you choose, make sure you buff out any marks on the inner pipe when you're done (just so there are no burrs the kids could get cut on).

The cutting wheel is also my choice, even though you didn't mention it as an option. If you do wind up doing it with one, make sure you securely clamp the ring from moving before doing so.

But of your two options, the O/A torch is the easy pick for this.

If you don't have any cut off wheels get some. they are awesome. I have used them many years in truck/equipment repair. Easly split a bearing race and slide right off the shaft with out nicking it. Hanger bearings same way. Some guys use a press. I bust the bearing shell with a hammer and a shop towel over it then split the race part....slides right off. I have several sizes cut of wheels and often use them on a die grinder. The other day i had a friend with a leaking power steering hose, at the pump. a jeep, he bought the fitting figuring you could remove it since it looked like it just snapped in. No deal it wont pull out. Its made that way so on the assy line it can be snapped in. when it needs to be replaced you have to buy the hose and the fitting. So guess what......I split the old fitting with a 2" zip wheel on an air die grinder, snapped in the old line and off he went,

sorry for the long story Its Friday night and beer time
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

this is a no-brainer, a cut off wheel
    mm210
    maxstar 150