Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Cheap is, ... well cheap

Let's all be flat out honest on this matter, I always side on caution and protection. I started out with a cheap hood, and didn't like it. I then bought my first cheap Auto hood, and didn't like it. I finally bought a hood I thought I would like - and do (Optel). Cheap first hood = $45, second auto hood = $125, Optel hood = $240. If you add up the progressive costs - $410, I would have been better off spending the $240 in the first place.

You only have two eyes - loss of vision in one or both is worth what?

Quote Originally Posted by jfsmith View Post
    I have an HF auto darkening bucket, I also have a Fibre Metal that I like. I use the Fibre Metal one more than the HF one. I have several lenses for the Fibre Metal helmet and a set of the bifocals for it.

I wish I had a positive air flow welding helmet. You have one set of eyes and one set of lungs.

They can replace the lungs these days, but it will hurt.

Jerry
    Man, lung replacement can't be good. Your right I do forget about the air I breathe sometimes.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Thanks for all the replies.

I only get to weld like 2-3 times a month so i thought this one would work. All the reviews on the site were good except one so I thought it couldn't be that bad. But today is my birthday and i did ask for an optrel so maybe i'll get one

Default Cheap helmets...

Hey fun4now,
    To respond to your first sentence:
    Yes, the "cheapo"(as defined here) helmets are a consumable to me. My eyes are the most precious part of my body and I never jeopardize them in any way. I have 2 Nexgen's I use religiously, but the HF and Northern Tool units have worked very well and have not caused me any problem....in function or full eye protection. I'm in my 43rd year of welding and still welding without problems because I do take care of my eyes. I agree there are garbage items on the market, and we all have the choice to use them or not. I don't feel these 2 (Hf & NT) are garbage. I had 2 Miller helmets that didn't last a year and a half, tossed them and went to Nexgen. "Cheapo" products are the result of our demand for "cheapo" products....like it or not....Denny

Homeschoolweldor
    as a seldom welder its probly fine for now but i would still look at maybe upgrading in the future if your use increases. my father has 2 of them and said he only gets flashed every once in a wile.

yorkiepap
    not ment as a shot at you sorry if you took it that way.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I actually got it today for my b-day. It fits on me better than the flip front that came with my small MIG and looks like it will last me for a while. (I only get to weld on weekends and only for a couple hours at best )

Thanks all for your replys

congrats on the new hood, the optrel is well spoken for by many so you should be happy with it.
    happy B-Day.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Homeschoolweldor,
    hey, sorry if I missed something, I'm in the process of changing jobs and haven't been on the forum for awhile. I thought you were welding at school? If not, what are you up to now?
    Again, ditto fun4now,
    Happy belated birthday
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

I've got a HF at home & a two hundred & sixty some-odd dollar Radner in the shop. I like and use them both. The 'cheapie' is a little lighter and more comfortable, but the overall picture or vision in the Radner is a little better.

Something I've heard from other folks is that the cheapies are more fragile, and can't be dropped as many times, or from as high as the expensive ones without breaking.

The only time I've ever been flashed by either is when the photocell (above the lens) can't 'see' the arc. This happens when I'm up in a tight spot or welding something inside of a cramped space, and the photocell is above or pushed up against a solid object I'm trying to look under.

"Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
    I doubt we'll see either of their likes again".

Circa 1920.
    Author:
    Unknown US Coast Guard unit Commander.