Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Very interesting GMAW and fat fab. I have never heard of that but sounds cool. i have seen the grenades work and man can they melt stuff, They dont really explode like a real grenade either so I can imagine what your talking about. You wouldn't happen to have any pics of track welded like that. Sounds cool
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

he is using the ripper for a extremely harsh mining enviroment up north.
    Jorgensen MFG.
    Custom trailers:from utility to semi trailers i make em all.
    argonweld_bjorn@hotmail.com
    www.ehhitch.com

About 20 years ago I bought a 9 foot length of track rail at a scrap yard for the threshold of my pole barn door. As the yard guy was torch cutting it to my length he told me that rail is harden on the top (where the train rides) and softer in the web and base so cutting was a bit difficult on the harden surface.

Cantankerous Coot Enterprises
    Robert K. Tompsett CEO,CFO,CWM

Lincoln 225 AC Stick Buzz Box
    Victor Portable gas welder
    Milwaukee Deep Cut Portable Band Saw
    Milwaukee Sawzall
    2 - Drill Presses

I have welded several things to it with 7018, heat first, its thick.

Quote Originally Posted by HMW View Post
    You wouldn't happen to have any pics of track welded like that. Sounds cool
    Google "thermite railroad track welding", there's youtube videos.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Quote Originally Posted by Darmik View Post
    ...to weld this stuff you need magnesium rod...
    Manganese. Rails are manganese steel.

having spent considerable time i the rail weld shop here in Nashville i can share this much. They butt weld ( resistance) 88 ft sections to make 1/4 mile lengths that are either resistance welded by machine in the field or thermite welded.

track comes in numerous grades. the best quality rail comes from japan.

the head ( thick section at top ) comes in varying degrees of hardness and
    how much is hardened, some the whole head is hardened some just the top surface 1/2" deep

the better quality rail is used in the turns and at switches and crossings.

legally all R.R. rail is property of a rail line and none is commercially available even in scrap yards. likely what you can find is crane rail. which is the same but different.

If you show up at a scrap yard with sections of railroad track the FBI will come to see you.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrhenry View Post
    If you show up at a scrap yard with sections of railroad track the FBI will come to see you.
    Yea they busted me for copying vhs tapes

Seriously tho if I HAD RR rail I would not be dumb enuff to SCRAP them!!

BTW 88 ft!!! I would love to bring them to the scrapper just to see everyones reactions (except the FBI)
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

watching them buttwelded together using 12 volts and 20k amps is amazing.

makes a heck of a flash around the weld when it shoves them together.

the cars that the 1/4 mile rails go on are really interesting.

pretty interesting to see how the sausage is made. you can see the 88 foot pieces stacked in the yard and the cars being loaded with finished rail

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...vnh_0KxlV4q5ig

Quote Originally Posted by ctrhenry View Post
    legally all R.R. rail is property of a rail line and none is commercially available even in scrap yards. likely what you can find is crane rail. which is the same but different.

Hmmm...must come from the part of the country you're in. RR rail is readily available here at the local scrap yard. The RR sells their scrap sections to them quite regularly. If I had a use for it, and I don't, I'd head down to the office of the Roadmaster at the depot and talk him out of as much as I need out of his scrap pile prior to the next load going out. Haven't needed to do that since needing a couple of yards of the stuff for weight when I had to drive my old Ford van back to Minn. mid-winter to pick up my mother-in-law after she recovered from surgery for a brain aneurysm. The rail is useless for anything of a structural nature as it is quite limber...place both ends of a section of rail a foot and a half above the ground and 15' apart and it will sag to the ground in the middle...makes it easy to do curve re-lays. Running a ribbon rail train of 1/4 mile sections...50-80 sticks...is quite entertaining. You get to watch the rail pliantly follow the grade changes and curves as you go down the track.

They used to wire-feed and grind the switch points and frogs when they wore out, but I believe there were problems with health issues in the manganese welding process and now the weld and grind work is done quite sparingly.

Except for making nice bookends in short sections I'd leave the rail for better alternatives out of the scrap yard.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies