Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 375 X-treme vs Powermax 30

Miller vs Hypertherm? any insight would be appreciated. Local dealer recommends the P 30 but like to stick with Blue.

Should be Miller vs thermaldyne......

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Should be Miller vs thermaldyne......
    why is that?

T-dyne have come a long way in making a techology speaking superior product. Prices are good, service is as quick as Miller. Still T-dyne guns are way better than any other brand and factory consumables are cheaper as well.

Not sure on how this group would rate thier products.

I rate the Thermal Dynamics torch as big and hard to get in small places. Ask my friend that barrow my 375 when his 1-Torch on his Thermal wont fit.

I personally like the Esab torches the best.
    Millermatic 251, Miller DialarcHF 250 AC/DC Tig/Stick
    Miller Cutmate 375, Victor O/A rig
    Optrel Satelite Hood
    B2 Beverly Shear
    Metabo 7" grinder

I always thought a plasma cutter was a plasma cutter, there's really not a whole lotta difference between them. You gotta consider the specific use and application, plus the availability and cost of the consumables. Myself, I went with the Thermal Dynamics 51, primary reason was the twist-lock gun connection, being portable it's important to be able to disconnect the gun and keep it out of harm's way when transporting. Plus I find myself in three states on occasion, TD is available almost everywhere I go. In a shop situation, and in my specific location, my decision might be different.

Thanks for some replies. I'm new to Plasma, so I really don't have any real experience. I looked into the Thermadyne 38 also but like the portability of the Miller and Hypertherm. I'm interested in real world comparisons of there units like : power, consumables, reliability and support. Comments are appreciated. Intended use is for 1/4 inch and under.

In house is currently a Miller MIG180, Miller Syncrowave 200 so if there's no real problems with the 375 Xtreme, I'll probably stick with Blue.

I have been told the it is the torch that makes the plasma not the power source, and all the research has told me that Thermadyne is the leader in plasma torch design whether it is the best for confined space I have no idea.

What I know is my old 30amp Mac Tools cheapo with the stock torch would only sever 1/4" switched out to a T Dyne torch and now it cuts 1/4" ans severs 3/8"
    and the consumables are off the shelf ans 1/4 the price.

TJ
    TJ______________________________________

My question is what is your application for this unit? The HT P30 and Miller375Xtreme are designed around being portable and working with lighter materials. Based upon what I have learned from looking for a plasma unit, when you approach the upper end of the cutting capacity, your consumable life goes down hill quickly, especially if you cut very much at the upper end.

Our initial search started at the Miller 375/Hypertherm 380 model. We then looked at the Miller 625/Hypertherm 600 because of consumable life on thicker material cuts, around 1/2" on occasion. Got the Hypertherm 1000 because Airgas made us an offer we couldn't refuse. That and they said they had a HT600 when they didn't and we had money ready to spend on a plasma cutter.

We went with Hypertherm because we could find consumables easy at Airgas or through Hypermax.org. Miller consumables were tougher to find. The Miller and Hypertherm units, especially the smaller units are virtually identical but are proprietary on consumables.

Are you using this plasma in your home/shop or in your business? Will it be used primarily in the shop or in the field? How often will you cut the thicker material, 1/4", as you listed? Are you going to run on 120V or 230V power? What is your potential power source? How about your air supply. Do you have a compressor that delivers the correct air pressure and required volume? Have you looked at you air drying/filtering needs?

Just a few thoughts.

Charlie
    '77 Miller Bluestar 2E on current service truck
    '99 Miller Bobcat 225NT for New Service Truck
    '85 Millermatic 200 in Shop

'72 Marquete 295 AC cracker box in Shop
    '07 Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 Plasma Cutter in Shop
    Miller Elite and Digital Elite Hoods

wile its not the same cutter i do have a miller spectrum 125C, had it about 4-5 years. its worked great the hole time and is still cutting like new. its cut much more than i expected from it. i will at some point be upgrading to a larger cutter when i can afford it. and using the spec.125's performance as a gage i will be getting the 375 as that upgrade with no concerns about performance. i added a foot control to my 125 and have used it a great deal. i don't use it as a portable unit and i'm just a hobby user so my welders are well cared for and don't get any ruff treatment so i cant say about heavy shop use and possible portable dings and bangs.
    my 125 has been a great addition to my shop and never needed any service or given me any trouble.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES