Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thumbs up

burninbriar, thats great. you shore seem to have the talent for that thing. its got to feel great to be turning out your own part.
    i have never used a mill but have used a metal lath and i can just imagine the work involved in getting it to come out like that. great work.
    i really hope you get to ride when you finish it, if it was me i would find a way to ride and deal with the consequences after cant wait to see the finished project. the more pic's the better i say.
    lish189 welcome to the site, always good to have new people with new idea's.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by paulrbrown View Post
    Briar, Scotchbrite wheel [#9N] for bench grinder,for the snake skin removal, it does a great job of deburring, sometimes called a convoluted wheel. about 50 bucks but lasts a very long time is is great also for deburring edges, hope this helps, Paul
    Iwas looking in the Enco catalog and they have what seems to be the equivalent to the Scotchbrite wheel, but I think I will look for the real thing. Thanks for the advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by lramberson View Post
    Pete, Project looks great, I like the textured look, it would be the custom touch for me.
    I would like to see the whole process, so I will be the first to ask for the full photo essay.
    Well, here is the rest of the pictures. There is 6 of them so it will have to be in 2 posts.

Pic 1 - After flattening and squaring the pieces I drilled and tapped the bolt holes. Then I registered the vice so I could do each operation to both pieces simultaneously, then center-drilled, and drilled a 1/2" hole (not shown) to start the 1 & 5/8" hole.

Pic 2 - I put the boring-bar on and enlarged the hole's to 1.625 doing both pieces at the same time with each adjustment. I hung a cutting from the milling machine head so someone might comment on it. Is this very long cutting desirable? I thought it was neat any way.

Pic 3 - I cut down the flats for the clamp bolts.

Pic 4 - I used a 3/4" roughing mill to bring the pieces down close to the finished shape.

Pic 5 - I put on a 3/4" 4 flute mill to clean up the cut and bring it to the finished size.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

I did not get a picture of the piece of junk Chinese rounding mill in action, I guess I was too angry at it.
    The last picture - I used a 1/32" X 3 1/2" slitting saw to cut the slit for the clamp.

The last two pics are just repeats of the finished product.

Pureox OA
    Miller Syncrowave 250

lramberson Guest

Thanks Pete, nice project! I still like the textured look, I guess that is why I use so much wrinkle/texture paint..LOL
    If you do any more mill work please post up, very neat stuff.

Thanks again for the pictures.

it dose look neat like it is, but it could only be in the pic. in person it could look entirely different, or it could just be he knows its not supposed to come out like that so it will always bother him if he leaves it like that.
    although it would stand as a reminder to him, he cant buy cheap tooling. although i bet the thing wasn't that cheap to buy anyway.some times even the junk is expensive.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    it dose look neat like it is, but it could only be in the pic. in person it could look entirely different, or it could just be he knows its not supposed to come out like that so it will always bother him if he leaves it like that.
    although it would stand as a reminder to him, he cant buy cheap tooling. although i bet the thing wasn't that cheap to buy anyway.some times even the junk is expensive.
    You are right, it would bother me every time I see it.
    Some of the rounding mill sets I have been looking at run around $250 -$300, and I'm, still not sure of the quality. I'm just glad I only bought 1 Chinese mill. I had a feeling it might be a disappointment regardless of what I was told that it was pretty decent. Maybe my standards are too high but I don't buy this attitude that its good enough for hobby use. Just because I'm not a professional machinist doesn't mean I don't want a good final product. I never could understand the attitude that "its good enough for hobby use."

Pureox OA
    Miller Syncrowave 250

i think "its good enough for hobby use" is not really something you could say about a mill in the first place.
    i don't mind "IGEFHU" if its just about the time it takes to get it done, i suspect they meant it wold work with a little clean up after use and as a hobby guy you have the time. but like you i would want my Mill to work right the first time every time, not know every time i use this tooling i need to allow for cleanup after.
    i think "IGEFHU" has its place, but this is not one of them.
    i hope you can find a better tooling at a affordable price. if you want to look at the glass as 1/2 full...... now you know who not to get tolling from.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

I think the quickest way to turn any one off from a hobby is to give them junk tools to work with, weather they are dull knives to carve with or crappy brushes to paint with. I feel if you can't afford the hobby, its best to find one you can. Of course I know there is exceptions to every rule, but this is my general consensus.

Pureox OA
    Miller Syncrowave 250

I think the quickest way to turn any one off from a hobby is to give them junk tools to work with
    verry true, hobby is no fun fighting with your tools all the time. you would be better off colecting stamps.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    I think the quickest way to turn any one off from a hobby is to give them junk tools to work with
    verry true, hobby is no fun fighting with your tools all the time. you would be better off colecting stamps.
    Go-cart racing used to be a cheap affordable alternative to car racing, but I was at the track in Beaver and the go-carts they were racing looked pretty pricey. I got a few pics of some regular ones but did not get any of the high end carts.
    I'm not sure if the last 3 pics qualify for go-carts or race cars. They have 500 cc and 1500 cc snow mobile engines.

Pureox OA
    Miller Syncrowave 250