Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: breaking motors

Default breaking motors

Does anyone know of a good way to crack open a electric motor quickly and easilywithout buying a million dollars in stuff to do it?
    My employer offers me subcontracting jobs and such. He told me I could have half of what these motors we have piled up at work bring,motors are from mostly 15 to 60 hp and hes gotprobably close to 1000or maybe more.
    If I could get a good method of tearing them apart an separateing them Id bring em all out an have me a nice little check.not really wanting to unbolt an pry apart or swing a hammeer all summer long to break that casting.
    Any ones ideas are appreciated ,Ithink ill start hauling em home this weekend an dumping them behind my shop. Icant hardly pass this up.
    thanks owen

i

If you are getting 1/2 of what they bring why not just load them and haul to scrap yard. Take the money and give boss 1/2 and both go home happy?
    Jim

Are they junk motors or working? You might got more if they're working, selling em on eBay or Craigslist, but then again, it would certainly be a lot easier to just take em to the scrapyard and let them deal with them, if they give you a decent value for them. Tough to say, have you checked, and is the reason you're trying to take them apart is because they'll give you more $ if the parts are separated in advance?

Copper brings a lot more than steel thats for sure.

Might be a good place to learn new plasma cutting techniques. At least for part of the job.
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

unbolt, battery powered impact, maybe air if I already had a setup. Maybe a torch for some bolts.

an air impact and air chisel should get it done fairly easily, torch would be the next option if they were really stubborn.
    one pile for steel the other for the copper windings, should bring a decent $ if they are large enough motors to be worth the trouble.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

There's actually a pretty fair amount of cash if you want to put a little work into it. Once you've taken all of the endbell bolts out you can take two prybars and slide the back end bell off. Don't forget to take the retaining ring bolts out too. There should be two or four bolts around the bearing cup on most motors that size. You can then take the front end bell and rotor out as an assembly or break it apart like the back one if you like. Once you have a bare stator then the real work begins.lol

If you have an air chisel, lay the stator on one end. You can take your air chisel and a flat cutting bit or a u-shaped cutting bit and cut one end of the coils off. Place the bit right where the winding comes out of the stator slots. This takes a little bit of practice and you want to make sure you stay flat on the steel laminations with your bit or it will just fold the wire over and not cut it. When you've gone all the way around one end of the coils should come out in one piece. Now, in the shop I worked in, the motors then went into a burnoff oven to get rid of the varnish insulation. Doing this at home, I'm not real sure what you could do here. It takes a lot of heat to get rid of that stuff and it smells to high heaven. You could possibly get a prybar under the intact end and pry it out of the slots but I'm not sure. Taking an OA torch to the laminations may weaken the varnish enough to get it out, but I don't know how much gas you would use to do it. You will probably get about 20-30 lbs of copper per motor and more if they go up 60 hp. Depending on how carried away you want to get, you could even knock the laminations out of the core as they usually just a press fit.
    Or, if the motors are in decent shape and run, call an industrial salvage place and see what they will give for them. Although you probably get more from scrap.

Have fun!

Also you should not lose focus that the idea here is to make money which often means taking the view of "what can I buy to make this profitable" vs the other view. I also like comparing the payout of them demo versus selling them to the yard and let their labor do the work. This is why your boss is making this deal in the first place, if he thought there was money in it he would hire you or someone else to do it.

I also like comparing the payout of them demo versus selling them to the yard and let their labor do the work. This is why your boss is making this deal in the first place, if he thought there was money in it he would hire you or someone else to do it.
    good point, if it was going to be good $$ the boss would likely have just had you do it at work and turn them in on his time.
    just the same if you can find a fairly doable way of taking them apart without too much trouble it may still be worth waisting a slow Saturday on.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Thanks for the input guys.
    I am going to tear into a couple and my brothers tackiling a couple pretty well like s berry has explained. I believe he turned down 60 cents a pound whole for the motors. He told me i could try it if i wanted, theres a bunch of them there if it wasnt to time consuming.As im able to load them an unload them at work an home with no effort an im thinkingif a guy just plugged away in spare timehere an there it would maybe be a little extra cash. I like the idea of hauling them whole but im sure hed of hauled on his scrap trailer at once.I bet 25% of them are 60 hp I just wonder what the whole mess is worth. thanks agin owen