Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tig gases.

Default Tig gases.

I have a quick question that I hope someone can answer. I have a synchrowave 200 and currently run argon. A friend gave me a full large cylinder of 98% argon/ 2% CO2. I'm in the process of welding a roll cage in my race car and was wondering if this gas combo would be detrimental to the integrity of the welds. The bottle hasn't been used in a few years from the looks of things as well.

What are the recommendations of people with more experience than myself?

Thanks,
    Tommy B.

I wouldn't recommend it, the CO2 would be very detrimental to your tungsten.

That blend is for MIG use not TIG.

Thanks Shadetree. That's what I suspected, but was unsure. It looks like I'll have enough gas for the rest of rest of my life. For the MIG that is.

Talking

Inert gasses only for GTAW. You could do some pretty nice spray arc with that 98/2 though if it's 2%O2.

Miller has an education site that answered alot of questions for me, you might pass a glance.
    Good luck
    L*S

http://www.millerwelds.com/education/library.html

Default 98/2 argon/02

I would highly discourage using this gas for welding roll cage materials. What are you building and where will you run it, just curious as I'm a circle tracker myself. dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Hey Dave, I'm running spec miata and mostly outside of New Orleans. Been doing it for about 4 years now and finally decided to build another car with a lot better roll cage and all the other bells and whistles. The car had about 10" of water from the storm and that didn't help the rust problem. I drive road courses, but did a high banked 1/2 mile high banked in Mobile. It was a lot of fun.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
    Tommy

Please excuse me because as usual Iím going to change the subject real quick. I meant to ask this a long time ago, but I thought Co2 was used so a guy could save a few bucks instead of using Argon when running his migÖ.? What & why would this 98% / 2% mix ever be available for anyway? You wouldnít be saving hardly any money because heck, its 98% Argon. I've just been wondering about this & couldn't let it go without asking. Ok, Sorry to keep this thread going. Think its time to file this in the archive drawer & I wonít be so tardy on my next question! Thanks guys!

CO2 does a lot more than save money.

Nutshell:
    100% CO2 will give greater penetration in short-circuit transfer.
    75% Ar / 25% CO2 is a very typical mix for short-circuit transfer with least spatter.
    90%+ Ar mixes will allow high-amperage machines to use the spray arc transfer; sometimes these mixes are as high as 98% Ar, with the balance being CO2, or sometimes 2% O2. I use a 97% Ar / 3% CO2 for both short circuit and spray arc of stainless steel also.

You can really research a lot on this subject at www.weldreality.com, though the guy that runs the site is a little biased about some things.

Running 100% argon will give extremely low penetration in GMAW.

Default Thank you

Thank you very much for the info & I will check out that website you speak of. Iíve been welding for 20 years or better and Iím still learning & not afraid to admit it. Heck, if this stuff was easy everybody would be doing it. Iím sure glad I recently stumbled onto this website because Iíve gained a lot knowledge & tricks that has helped! Hopefully I can help somebody else out on this website but being a company rig welder I have come to the conclusion that thereís not too many people here that welds on high pressure pipe or boiler tubes that has to be x-rayed. Recently purchased Sync. 350 for the shop for tigging aluminum & other things. So Iím playing catch-up on this machine & Paul has helped me out a bunch. Thanks again! Rodney