Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Keeping the wire feed going at speed

OK, OK, I know this has probably been answered a million times but I don't know what to do.
    I just purchased a new Millermatic 180 after owning and using a little 110 Italian import mig welder for the last 17 years which finally died on me. WOW! It was like I had always driven a little Ford Pinto and just got into a new Ferrari. I love it!
    Back to the problem.
    I only have about a total of 30-45 minutes welding time on the 180 and I was going out to find things to weld I enjoyed it so much. Now it has started doing the same thing as the other little welder would do. The wire feed starts slowing down and will not keep up with the weld.
    I have tried loosening the tension on the wire spool so much that I reached the point of it unraveling into a ball of spaghetti. The wire is correct size and is new.
    I have kept tightening the pressure on the adjustment knob until I feel I am way past the pressure needed to keep the wire running thru the cable to the nozzle. I weld a couple of inches and tighten, weld another couple of inches and tighten. Nothing seems to be kinked anywhere.
    What's the cure? I want to use this puppy!!!!!
    Peace,
    Chaz
    Artist

Quote Originally Posted by themodernartist View Post
    OK, OK, I know this has probably been answered a million times but I don't know what to do.
    I just purchased a new Millermatic 180 after owning and using a little 110 Italian import mig welder for the last 17 years which finally died on me. WOW! It was like I had always driven a little Ford Pinto and just got into a new Ferrari. I love it!
    Back to the problem.
    I only have about a total of 30-45 minutes welding time on the 180 and I was going out to find things to weld I enjoyed it so much. Now it has started doing the same thing as the other little welder would do. The wire feed starts slowing down and will not keep up with the weld.
    I have tried loosening the tension on the wire spool so much that I reached the point of it unraveling into a ball of spaghetti. The wire is correct size and is new.
    I have kept tightening the pressure on the adjustment knob until I feel I am way past the pressure needed to keep the wire running thru the cable to the nozzle. I weld a couple of inches and tighten, weld another couple of inches and tighten. Nothing seems to be kinked anywhere.
    What's the cure? I want to use this puppy!!!!!
    Peace,
    Chaz
    If you are using fluxcore wire too much pressure on the drive roller will tend to make the wire oval shaped and that will affect the feedability. The roll tension needs to be just enough to keep the roll from freewheeling, while the drive tension needs to be just enough to keep the wire from slipping. You should feed wire into a block of wood from a few inches, when it starts to slip, crank the pressure down just a bit. On my Hobart and Miller small migs it seems like I usually end up at about 2.5 or 3 on the scale of the pressure tension arm. These settings would also apply to solid wire if you are using gas, Hope this helps.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Default Wire feed....

Hey t/m/a,
    Your problem, since it has happened with 2 different welders, suggests you may have an input current issue. Do you have the correct input voltage and amperage rating to run the welder. Most welders, either 110 or 220v would need a minimum of 30Amps input. Just a thought....Denny

Thanks guys,
    It appears that I had the tension adjustment so screwed down that I was deforming the wire. The deformed wire was having difficulty going thru the tube to the weld nozzle. I had to really back off many turns to get to the point where I could use the press against a wooden block test.
    Thanks again and Peace,
    Chaz
    Artist