Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Pipe welding? Job quoting question?

Do any of you guys charge per inch of weld or get paid this way and if so what is the rate?

How many weld joints would you be ecpected to do if say you were welding 3'' Sch. 160 with tig all the way out?

Or what are your companys daily quota for weld joints?

If you bid on a pipe job how do you go about bidding it do you figure how long it is going to take for each joint?

How long do you allow for grinding and fit up?

i dont know how they all do it but there is a formula to figure yout TIG caust per inch in the miller TIG book. but some of the guys bid it by time + matereals +30%.
    i have never herd or reather read of one of the guys charging by the inch, i supose the formula is for shop expenses. but i supose its possible. interesting question, cant wait to here some of the por's take on it.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

ascwldr24,
    I use a program called PHCC labor calculator or I use the RS Means Book when working on Goverment jobs. They both come out the same but RS Means is what the Gov. basis their jobs and change orders on.
    Example but welds, 2"=.8hrs, 3"=1.15, 4"=1.6hrs, 6"=2.4hrs, 8"=3.2hrs, 10"=4hrs. Remember this is total labor for the joint which includes welder and helper. So the welding time on a 3" joint is .575hrs. These figures are uasually 20% high, in real life the 3" joint will be about .4hrs or 24 min. that includes fitup also.

well if this loads its the chart i mentioned, if not miller has the book for download free in there info section its chapter 9
    Attached Files Attached Files
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Is there a website that I can check for the PHCC Labour Calculator or the RS Means Book?
    Dodge 2500 Cummins, Miller Pipe Pro 304, Dynasty 200DX ,Suitcase 12RC, 30A Spoolgun

Rig welder just stick the info your looking for into either Google or Yahoo and look away.
    The definition of courage. "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through to the end no matter what." From "To Kill a Mockingbird"

Default thank you

Wow interesting I never knew such a program exsisted like the PHCC Labor Calculator or the RS Means Book.

Thank you Finney

Where did you get yours from there are so many places and they are quiet expensive?

employeers use inches to determine the output of their welders and most places will have a minimum they'd like to see (like on pipelines) per day or hour or whatever, as this is what they base their contracts on and how long it will take, so the faster you work the more money you make the company and the more you can make yourself.

ascwldr24,
    The company I work for belongs to PHCC org. and I bought the RS Means book and CD a few years ago when I did alot of Gov. work. I think I paid $500 or so for the RS means.
    mustange70, We quit using inches of weld years ago because when PHCC came out because it has difficulty multipliers built in the program that calculates a adder for working x amoumt of feet in the air or in the ground. If I bid a job for seven 6" welds per day and you make 9 you still get paid for the hours you worked unless we are on a joint bonus which means you still get paid by the hour plus x amount for each joint over what I bid. We only use this when working on a job with a tight schedule.