Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MIG Question

Default MIG Question

Having trouble seeing the weld puddle because of the nozzle. At what
    possition should the nozzle be while welding 14 gage square tubing? When looking at the bead the nozzle head is in the way. The Miller supply store said
    to hold the nozzle at the 5 oclock possition and always weld from left to right if
    I am right handed. It's just hard getting use to welding MIG after stick welding
    for 20 years. Thought maybe there is a better way? Thanks
    Last edited by Duck; 04-10-2007 at 09:23 PM.

Cool

Same angles as on thicker stuff, try running 3/4 stick out at 15 degrees or so. 14 ga is thin stuff. Just welded 5in dia entension on scraper muffle pipe with .030 wire and spool gun.

You have to be able to see your puddle. Position the gun to push in a position that you can view your arc & bead.

Default Gun technique

At work we weld primarily with .035 hardwire and I find the best results are yielded with 3/8 to 5/8 stickout (from the tip, not the nozzle ) and about a 15 degree push angle. In some cases when you need a little more penetration and/or build up a drag technique will work too. As for seeing the puddle I find watching from behind to work the best as long as you can still track the seem, it gives you a better idea of what the weld turning out like. It is just a matter of positioning yourself in a position to see. Anybody who says you should always be comfortable while welding is spoiled
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

Talking

You can be comfortable while welding?? How? I've never experianced this phenominon you speak of. I come home everyday from work all banged up and sore as can be.

I am right handed and usually weld right to left...sorta, most of the time, . like others said pushing is easier. Sometimes on a crack where I have cleaned it real good, I'll mark the crack with soap stone or a white out pen.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Default Gmaw

There are several different techniques so don't let someone tell you it's only good one way. Pushing the puddle gives you different penetration and buildup that pulling the puddle (forgive me, it's late) Also, try some of the different weave patterns like a zig-zag or little circles or the stepped pattern. Most think MIG is just aim and pull the trigger but there's really much more to it. It doesn't hurt to find a good book or read the Miller articles on MIG welding.
    GOod Luck!
    Matt Adams A&P, IA
    Trailblazer 302
    Dialarc HF

Welding in corners, right handed,pulling from left to right in little circles works best for me.
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-GMAW View Post
    You can be comfortable while welding?? How? I've never experianced this phenominon you speak of. I come home everyday from work all banged up and sore as can be.
    One of the first things I was taught as a welder was safety.
    second thing ''In order to make sound weldments you have to position ones self in as comfortable position as posible thats part of welder technique''

So with that being said before I attack a joint or groove,I look at the best posible way to go about doing it.

everyone should remember welding isnt a race... QUALITY WELDMENTS TAKE TIME
    HOPE i HELPED
    Dave
    strive for perfection..but be wiling to accept EXCELLENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Aircraft Welder View Post
    There are several different techniques so don't let someone tell you it's only good one way. Pushing the puddle gives you different penetration and buildup that pulling the puddle (forgive me, it's late) Also, try some of the different weave patterns like a zig-zag or little circles or the stepped pattern. Most think MIG is just aim and pull the trigger but there's really much more to it. It doesn't hurt to find a good book or read the Miller articles on MIG welding.
    GOod Luck!
    Well to me I agree mig is aim and squeeze.
    IT takes little to no operator skill to do,
    the most complicated part is setting up and trouble shooting of the machine.
    Also the easiest process out there and with pulsed its even easier.