Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Let us know

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702
    Actually, even then it wasn't correct. When AC welding, you are still using two hots from the secondary side of a transformer.

I'll have to research to find out why "ground" became a common term, probably just because it was a clamp instead of what you held to do the job with.
    Mac, let us know when you find out. I've notice around here everyone still calls it a ground. I was out at a large fabrication shop a few minutes ago buying a few small pieces of flats and while i was there one of the guys was installing a new work clamp and i said to him what you up to and he said "Installing a new ground clamp" *LOL* I wanted to take a survey while there but they looked way to busy and the owner probably wouldn't have appreciated me bothering them. In your part of the country do you hear very many call them ground clamps?
    Thanks, Farris
    Gone But Never Forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by fyoung
    In your part of the country do you hear very many call them ground clamps?
    Oh yeah. And I've been known to slip myself when around others who call it that, because I was taught "ground" by my dad, too. But check your owner's manuals or current text books. They probably stopped using the misnomer, if they ever did.

I'd be interested in hearing about any books that DO use the misnomer, just out of curiosity. My Miller/Hobart manuals all say "work clamp." Just checked...
    Last edited by MAC702; 01-31-2006 at 01:24 PM.

Default around here

I'm affraid around here if I said work clamp they woundn't know what I was talking about..I say ground clamp too becaue that'a about all I've ever heard it called.
    Thanks, Farris

Hey Mac, I belive the corecct way of spelling Welder is W E L D E R not weldor.

See the third entry:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=welder

"weldor" used to be the common term, but has actually started disappearing in textbooks and even some dictionaries, part of the dummying down of the English language and society in general.

Look at the much more common word "operator." It would be a lot harder to convince everyone to start using "operater," wouldn't it? They mostly got away with it with "weldor," though.

A lot of books have switched entirely to the term "welding machine operator" to avoid the issue; chickens.

In general history of the English language, an "-er" was a machine, and an "-or" was a person, both of which did the same thing, in this case a welder (machine) and a weldor (person) both weld (verb.)

It had been determined by society that the English language is too difficult. This is the same society that endorses welfare and subsidizing. Enjoy your heritage!

EDIT: Interesting trivia: During the heyday of collect calling, AT&T got this great idea to compete with 1-800-COLLECT by using 1-800-OPERATOR. Well, someone else got the even better idea to register the number 1-800-OPERATER and they made millions by all the people thinking they were using AT&T, but had misspelled "operator."
    Last edited by MAC702; 02-02-2006 at 10:04 AM.

Default love this stuff

I've learnt something new today..I didn't know about the "or" "er" thing.
    Mac, I appreciate that. well I got to get back at it..lunch is over.
    Farris

Default Safety First

My simple answer is **** NO, you are not following safe welding practices. If you are welding in anything less then a 6'X6' non-combustible surface (including surrounding areas) you are looking to start a fire. Buy some heavy duty welding blankets ($70/each) and protect yourself.

Have your fire fighting equipment at the ready - you will need it!

Always ground your work and not the table if practicle.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sjmiller
    Always ground your work and not the table if practicle.
    Steve
    Assuming you meant the work lead on the welding circuit, why is this a "safety first" issue?

And if you did indeed mean an electrical "ground", why is THAT a "safety first" issue?

I'd venture to say that the VAST majority of welding that is conducted on a table has the work lead on the table.