Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Metal Core?

Default Metal Core?

The shop I work in uses .045 Corex metal core for all of our heavier gauge work. I have been told that they previously used flux core (T9?). As far as I can tell the main reason they switched over was because the metal core is cheaper. I, as well as my coworkers all find it very finicky as it doesn't feed well, kink easily and has a very dirty surface that plugs liners. What I am most curious about is its mettalurgical properties/ quality. If anybody has knowledge or experience any input would be great, thanks.
    Last edited by shorerider16; 04-15-2007 at 10:41 PM.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

Cool Metal Core

I have used that stuff .045
    you need to use a wire lubricated pad and this stuff likes to run very and I do mean very hot I worked at a place in port kells and that's what they use anyway that's what I have found with it. It is a very cheap wire but it's not bad depends on what you are doing with it maybe that it could be very well be that it is the wrong stuff for what you are using it for.

I agree with Darmik, it likes to burn very hot. I've used Select 70, Corex, Hobart FABCOR 96, Megafil 710M, and a couple of others. They share high deposition rates, less cleanup of the weld, low spatter, and they don't run overhead or vertical very well. Production shops use metal core for productivity, I know the Hobart Fabcor 96 is 96000psi tensile and has a dep/rate upwards of 28 lbs per hour.
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

Thanks for the input. Unfortuanetely our shop doesn't even have the budget for new liners, guns and so on, so I'm guessing we won
    't be getting any wire lubricators anytime soon. It's a real pain because the poor feeding causes a lot of burnback, on a bad day I have gone through over 5 tips in under 5 hours! Yes, it is definately hot, just how I like it. Just wondering if it is better to push or drag, I find I get the nicest bead profile with a slight push angle, but I don't know if this affects the penetration in a negative way. Thanks again for the help.
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor

Quote Originally Posted by shorerider16 View Post
    Thanks for the input. Unfortuanetely our shop doesn't even have the budget for new liners, guns and so on, so I'm guessing we won
    't be getting any wire lubricators anytime soon. .

Gosh, I hope they don't go broke saving money.
    Good quality tools & materials more than pay for themselves in increased productivity and job or work quality.

Its like putting a cheap battery in your car.
    When it goes out and you get a towing bill,
    plus have to buy the cheap one again----
    that bigger/better battery costing $20 more all of a sudden becomes the real bargain.

It seems almost everyone pushes their welds. I usually pull backwards on mine. It seems there is less splatter and smoke to deal with, and I can see & watch the arc better in a cleaner spot before the welding material/filler goes on it. In addition, it might be my imagination, but I think I get better and more controllable penetration by not having to burn through the trash & splatter beads that want to blow forward of the arc.

Last edited by Winger Ed.; 04-13-2007 at 12:30 AM.
    "Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
    I doubt we'll see either of their likes again".

Circa 1920.
    Author:
    Unknown US Coast Guard unit Commander.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Gosh, I hope they don't go broke saving money.

Tell me about it. Its like talking to a brick wall I couldn't say it any better myself, if my coworkers and I didn't have a sense of humor we wouldn't make it through the day . But I swear there is nothing more fustrating than having the having the whip break off at the feeder in the middle of a weld , it has happened!.

I know what you mean by getting better penetration with a pull instead of a push, but the push looks SO nice if you do it right. I just hope it still has acceptable strength properties and so on.
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor

push verses pull - penetration
    you may want to take 2 sets of test plates of what you are welding. weld one in push and one in pull. then cut the samples and acid etch them and see witch one gets the best penetration. I would want to know so a weld would not get out their and fail. could turn out that the one you like best may not have the penetration you need. only way I know for sure is to do the tests
    also may want to check your weld parameters. .& . gun work angle & travel angle

I wish I was enrolled in my C level course at the college, that way I would have access to proper testing equipment. I guess that will have to wait until next year.

Another issue we have been having with the metal core is porosity. Every once and a while an entire bead will turn out like swiss cheese while all the welds before and after were fine.
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor