Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

PM what setup your working on and I'll make copys and fax them to you. Bill

I work for a CAT dealership, and the new shanks/adapters always are loose fitting onto the teeth. The only time we change an adapter/shank is when the bucket was run without the tooth on it, wearing the shank beyond useabillity.

I've changed many adapters for different reasons, but the process stays the same. I've never (by my own means or by CAT specs) had to build up or hard face the adapters. The cutting edge/frog plate is a hardened part usually falling into the specs of A400F. There are others used for this purpose, but CAT specifies a procedure for the changing of the adapters.

Gouge the old ones off, preheat the plate to 300 -375 degrees F, and weld the new ones on. Don't let the inter-pass temp drop below 250 deg F or go above 450. Allow the weldment to cool slowly. Start at the edge of the frog, and weld upto the back of the shank, either around the back of the adapter or not, trailling off in a 45 deg run off. Use 8018-c3 or any wire or rod equivellent.

As for hard facing and build up of the adapters for better tool engagement, you can build them up with an 80,000 psi rod or wire using preheat as described without problems. I have never personally hard faced the adapters.

The new teeth will fit loosely to any adapter, so take that into consideration. Dirt packs in and all is good. New adapters come with a bevel, which takes one or two passes to fill before you put the final cap on which consists of three to six passes, depending on the size of the shank.

Hope this helps
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

I agree with a couple other posts. We don't change the shanks unless the teeth have been missing. [which is often] They are a little loose when in good shape, but will be sloppy if ran without a tooth on the shank. You can kinda tell if the shank is wore alot. If just his teeth are wore down, just change them. In my case usually half are missing..
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]