Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Pipeliner 200D,Classic 300D or Vantage400

Im looking at upgrading my welder and cant decide on what to get. I currently have a Ranger 305G, but would like something with a little more weld output to burn 1/4 7018 when needed. I would be useing it for pipeline and pipe fab mostly. I have heard good things about the Vantage 400 , wont even look at the 300. Any help would be great. thanks
    '' Full Penetration , All Position "

Maybe I missed something. Why is the Pipeliner 200D in the running if you want more output than a Ranger 305G? But the Vantage 300 that you won't consider has more (except in "Pipe" mode). What criteria led to your 3 top choices? That might help us look at them with you.

Do you use a lot of auxiliary power?

Talking Pipeliner200D

The 200D wil burn 1/4 18 better than the Ranger 305G for what I will need it for, mostly for capping pipe, just a few sticks in a row. (I wont be burning that often). I wasnt looking at the Vantage 300, the Vantage 400 that is rated at 100% at 400 amps in stick mode.The Vantage 300 bogs down and even stalls out when running 1/4 7018. I dont need lots of auxilliary power, just to run my grinders so that isnt a issue.
    '' Full Penetration , All Position "

Default pipeliner

Quote Originally Posted by pipeliner007 View Post
    The 200D wil burn 1/4 18 better than the Ranger 305G for what I will need it for, mostly for capping pipe, just a few sticks in a row. (I wont be burning that often). I wasnt looking at the Vantage 300, the Vantage 400 that is rated at 100% at 400 amps in stick mode.The Vantage 300 bogs down and even stalls out when running 1/4 7018. I dont need lots of auxilliary power, just to run my grinders so that isnt a issue.
    All of these machines will burn 1/4 except the 305g . If you do more pipeline than fab I wouldn't even consider the vantages. I have a pipeliner 200d and just to clear up most misconceptions the 200 is a model number. Even the old sa 200 put out way more than 200 amps(300 or more) my pipeliner puts out 398at the terminals but only has a 60% duty cycle.I've worked along side many pipliners that say capping with 1/4" is faster but at the end of the day 3/16" wins in my opinion. If you are hand rolling 10" std. pipe 1/4" makes a mess (spatter) When I had my pipe pro on my truck I burned 1/4 all the time and the old guys with pure dc machines would kick my a-ss using 3/16(they weren't grinding spatter off the pipe the size of ball bearings. As far as power I think dc is better (it's hard to stall a grinder on dc) Plus In my opinion the 200d is the easiest to trouble shoot( no electronics except for the idler) Tried tested and true is the way to go .I tiried the electronic route with alot of gen power and someone is always trying to plug some thing into your machine . Now you say your main work is pipeline then I would go with a pipeliner 200d with a kubota(mainly because you can get them fixed anywhere). If I were you I would steer clear of the electronic machines. Don't get me wrong the weld ok but the reliablility isn't there for our climate. Now remember that this is JUST MY OPINION and I'm entitled to it. Jef

Default Why not the Vantage series???

Jef,
    I am also looking to upgrade from my Ranger 250. First choice for dollars was 305G. The one I really want is the Vantage 400. My application is a little different. Mostly gouging, fabbing repairs. Suitcase GMAW & FCAW. Not sure on hi freq GTAW for portability. Not a pipeliner like yourself. Could you let me know what failures etc that you have witnessed to recommend against the Vantages. I would really like to know.

Thanks,

Default vantage

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    Jef,
    I am also looking to upgrade from my Ranger 250. First choice for dollars was 305G. The one I really want is the Vantage 400. My application is a little different. Mostly gouging, fabbing repairs. Suitcase GMAW & FCAW. Not sure on hi freq GTAW for portability. Not a pipeliner like yourself. Could you let me know what failures etc that you have witnessed to recommend against the Vantages. I would really like to know.

Thanks,
    I worked along side lots of those and pipe pro's and when it get's Alberta cold electronics have a nasty habit of not working when you need them the most and it's not something you can trouble shoot on your own (if a board goes or something like that) Now you say you do alot of gouging, I have been told that gouging with an inverter is really not that good for it(maybe someone who knows could enlighten us) And personally anything with electronics if your bouncing down lease roads or 50 kliks of washboard eventually something is going to rattle loose. Kepp in mind this is just my take on it,and I've had my share of problems with my pipe pro in the 2 years i've had it. I am by no means an expert on the subject. Jef

Jef,
    I only asked what your experiences with them were because a good friend of mine up here has been a pipeliner for over 25 years and he recommended the Vantage 400. Has one on his truck now. In the past he has had SA-200. Classic 2, Classic 3 etc. He went to Red-D-Arc and Miller for a while and has settled on the Vantage 400. He runs his cable on a set of Shel-Ryn Aluminum reels which he has been using for many years with little grief. The only recommendation he had for gouging was to bypass the reels and hook direct to the output terminals to avoid unneccessary Voltage Drop and/or cooking the reels. I guess the Shel-Ryns can overheat and wreck the cork gaskets etc next to the contacts and then you have to disassemble them and put a kit in. To solve the vibration problem (or at least minimize it) he uses fancy vibration isolaters that are bolted from the top and the bottom and cost around $85.00 CDN It's been a while since I looked over the specs but I'm sure the Vantage 400 is recommended by Lincoln for gouging. The one my friend has on his truck really gets with the program. I was very impressed. It's all good. Now I have more information and a couple more points of view to consider when it's time to decide. Thanks for the input guys.

Later,

If Your Burning Lots of 1/4 (like days) your working your self out of a job, the way things are going with the new laws on 1 tons stick with the 305G and runn a 3/4 ton truck ive used the vantage 300 great 6010 machine so if your pipelining i'd go with the vantages. i love my 300D quite a bit and i think if i was to buy again it would be a vantage 400 with the perkins
    your only as good as # 2 cuz no matter how good you are there is always someone better"
    2006 DODGE Dualy Quad Cab
    PIPELINE IS THICKER THAN BLOOD!!!
    here is all the pictures of my rig www.cardomain.com/ride/2520047/1

i don;t know all the details but you know have too have your weights on all one tons farmers and the joe blow who wants to just own a dually no matter if your towing or houling or not at all single whell one thons follow same suit
    your only as good as # 2 cuz no matter how good you are there is always someone better"

sounds like the same deal i think