Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Esab 252 Tig

Question Esab 252 Tig

Anybody have any experience with an ESAB 252 TIG machine? I had my heart set on a Miller machine, but the opportunity has come about to purchase a five year old ESAB 252 (probably cheap??), a Miller coolmate, a foot controler and a Diamondback torch. If you guys think it might be worthwhile what would you consider to be a good price? The unit appears to be in reasonable shape. I found it is in a business that fabricates race car frames and has allegedly only been used for aluminum work. The story is that they upgraded and have no use for the 252. My wife asked me why I would want something so large in my shop, but I thought if it were cheap enough I might give it a shot. Any information/thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Nick

Nick,

Why don't you give Scott a PM he might know something about one of those. Better yet, tell your wife to get you a Dynasty 200DX, it's a much more reasonable size .
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

If it's under $2k then I think it's a **** good deal. Don't spend more for a Dynasty 200, it's just too small when you could have this ESAB..

Sundown,
    Thanks for the reply. I did PM Scott, but he has not answered me yet. I actually PM'ed you the other day also. Maybe the PM's are not working properly.

Benny,
    Thank you for the info. I just spoke to the guy. He said that they upgraded to a Dynasty and that it works fine. It has been used for ~ 15 HRS per week on aluminum. The only negative aspects of the purchase are that I will have to drive 500 miles each way to pick it up and I will have to have 100 amp service installed in my shop ( I currently have 50 amp service).
    Thanks,
    Nick

I am partial but it looks like to me if the Dynasty will do all of what you need it is a no brainer to me. I just got a 200dx to go along with the 300dx in my shop and the 200 is so small it's like it don't exist compared to the old syncrowave 250 or even the 300dx. I have thought of dropping a shelf down out of the cieling and having it overhead if I can come up with a good plan. No Floor Space items make me happy....

Quote Originally Posted by KIWI View Post
    Sundown,
    Thanks for the reply. I did PM Scott, but he has not answered me yet. I actually PM'ed you the other day also. Maybe the PM's are not working properly.

<snip>
    Nick I got your PM and answered back, if you didn't get it then let me know.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

if ya got the $$ and the dyn200 will handle what you need to do i would go with it. like said abouve its small so no shop space is taken up and no new power require ments, heck with its 110v option its so portable you will start inventing reasons to take it out.
    nothing like a lil TIG in the liveing room after dinner. that kind of portability is always nice to have available even if ya dont end up using it.
    figure in your time and gas to do the pick up you gotta add what $500 or more to the price VS diliverd to the door and easily caried out to the shop. is it still a good deal ??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    if ya got the $$ and the dyn200 will handle what you need to do i would go with it. like said abouve its small so no shop space is taken up and no new power require ments, heck with its 110v option its so portable you will start inventing reasons to take it out.
    nothing like a lil TIG in the liveing room after dinner. that kind of portability is always nice to have available even if ya dont end up using it.
    figure in your time and gas to do the pick up you gotta add what $500 or more to the price VS diliverd to the door and easily caried out to the shop. is it still a good deal ??
    Well Fun,
    Thanks for the reply! That is what I was getting at,the cost. If I could get the unit for say $1000 to $1250, gas at $150, 100 Amp circuit $150, then I would have a decent TIG machine with a water cooled torch for somewhere between $1300 to $1550. If you were to choose which do you think would be the most cost effective choice. I would rather have a 200 DX, but the cost of the unit alone would be (Cyberweld Price) $2,669.00. That is for a bare unit then add the Miller TIG Contractor Kit with RFCS-14HD and the price is now $3268.99. So, what do you think?
    Thanks,
    Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images

i supose it comes down to what you intend to use it for and how much $$ you have available. we cant all have dyn200Dx's. i saved up for about 3 years then ended up getting a TA-185 for $1750, that was about 6 months ago.
    i dont know what your shop is?? do you do just hobby stuff like me or is it a buisness??
    it would seem that you have worked out being able to give it a 100amp breaker, so if you dont have a mobile use at the moment and want to add TIG to your shop and $$ is tight go esab and use it to pay for the dyn200 to add mobile work later on.
    $3268.99 is a lil high as you could pice togather the contractors kit for about $300 but you are still looking at $3000 VS $1500 . not to mention if you start making some $$ with the esab and do get the dyn200 later on you will already have the cooler, torch and foot controle from the esab to use on the dyn200. so you sell the esab localy for $500-$1000 without the extras and you are $1000 ahead of the game for the dyn200.
    if you are a buisness and have perspective mobile jobs for the TIG then skip the esab and just grab a dyn200 and it will pay for its self on the job. if its a home hobby shop like mine the esab is realy the best rought to go. it will alow you to start TIGing and with the cooler and extras you can easily sell back out of it for a dyn200 later without loosing your shorts.

short anser;
    if you are not a buisness shop with possible mobile work lined up. spend the weekend driving down to get a TIG welder. build up a TIG reputation and get a dyn200 later when it will make you some $$,.
    if you are a buisness that can grow with a mobile TIG unit, call up cyberweld with a C.Card # for a dyn200dx and get some work done to pay for it.

hope thats some help.

i had no choice, i had to get an inverter. there is only 100amps on my property and that has to feed the house too. as its a trailor and an old one at that to upgrade my service would require new lines from the street to my pole then to my house & shop. big $$ involved. so it was inverter or no TIG for me, or i would have a syncrowave 200.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Fun,
    I am a hobbiest who works full time in healthcare and who takes welding classes because I enjoy welding. I have actually done some repair jobs for folks and have dabbled in some ornamental iron to boot. I am currently fabricating a trailer. My buddy is a "sparky" and he said that he could install a 100 Amp circuit for $150. So that will give you some background. As for the TIG situation I would not like to have this enormous unit in my shop period, but it seemed like a cost effective way to get a high quality TIG at a reasonable price. I know that you love Dynastys as most guys do on this forum, but in reality this TIG would probably be able to do most things that the Dynasty could do except for the portability issue. So I guess my thoughts were I could have a good TIG machine with money to spare for other things.
    Thanks,
    Nick