Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default insurance adjuster

My insurance company sent someone out to look at the trailer today, the other guys adjuster never showed, maybe tomorrow. But the findings from my insurance carrier were that there were no defects in the engineering, craftmanship, materials and or design of the trailer. His guestimate of impact speed was at approx. 6-8 m.p.h. His findings are that the trailer owner is 100% at fault and they will deny any claim or liability on my behalf. I should recieve the official report by them in about two weeks, when I get a hard copy of it I will scan it and post it to this thread. Also I will post anything that comes from the owners insurance carrier as well.
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

dabar39,
    got on this thread a little late INTERESTING!!!!!!! My friend who had built boat trailers for over 30 years I think had 1 incident with someone backing up their boat and trailer into a wall, and the sliding tongue caved in a little bit. He makes his trailers for as little weight as possible, but still conforming to engineering specs (He went to engineering school). Anyway, he told the upset owner that wouldn't it be better to have the tongue cave in than his truck? and...why did he park it against a wall? If he had known he was going to do that, he would have made the trailer with I-beam! Owner walked away......He makes his bunks with 2 brackets, forward and back, with 2x4's or 2 x 6's as bunks, so the boards will flex with the boats weight bouncing up and down. not 2 or 3 extra in the middle, as he says, there's no give, so the boats fiberglass will absorb the shock and crack in years to come...
    One of my best friends' said it best: "Stupid people shouldn't breed"
    How are youre eyes doing?
    best regards, bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Talking WE Have a saying

WE have a saying where I come from , the driver had to study to be that stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by john p View Post
    WE have a saying where I come from , the driver had to study to be that stupid.
    Thats funny

How are your eyes Dabar? Good progress. Good luck
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Default additional info.

The trailer owners insurance company has come and looked at the trailer last week and the adjuster said there is absolutely nothing wrong with the engineering or construction of my trailer. After him being here twice to talk to me, I was left with a check in my hand for 1000.00, The amount of a deposit for a 18' car hauler. I talked to the adjuster today and he also told me they are denying his claim altogether and have dropped him as a client as his acts were in a criminal manner (leaving the scene of an accident with property damage) Dave

Also to all the guys asking about my eyes, I'm scheduled for surgery on the right eye in about 8 weeks from now. Thanks for asking and the concern.

Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by dabar39 View Post
    The trailer owners insurance company has come and looked at the trailer last week and the adjuster said there is absolutely nothing wrong with the engineering or construction of my trailer. After him being here twice to talk to me, I was left with a check in my hand for 1000.00, The amount of a deposit for a 18' car hauler. I talked to the adjuster today and he also told me they are denying his claim altogether and have dropped him as a client as his acts were in a criminal manner (leaving the scene of an accident with property damage) Dave

Also to all the guys asking about my eyes, I'm scheduled for surgery on the right eye in about 8 weeks from now. Thanks for asking and the concern.
    It is begining to look as though there is some justice in the world after all. Good luck on the eye surgery
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Default 294 trailers later and I guess I still don't know what I'm doing.

The whole point of the thread was that this guy damages the trailer and is not willing to take any credit. I don't care how you build the tongue it was going to get tore up.

I am going to say my opinion one last time, If you take 16,000 pounds of rolling mass and wedge a 880 lb. trailer on a fence at an angle and keep pushing on it, something is gonna give. I don't care what the tongue was made of it would have been damaged. Say it all you want but channel would have twisted up just as box tubing would have also bent.

Myself and hundreds of other builders build it the same way, I guess we all have no clue as to what we do. The idea behind a angle tongue is so that it will bend on impact same as cars have crumple zones built into them. With the impact this trailer took it would have been a total loss if not for the tongue having some give. Also to make it clear this trailer is a 6'4" x 12' trailer, it aint that big and even though SSS is correct about 7000 lb. axles that doesn't mean the trailer is rated for that. This trailer has a duty rating of 3500 lbs., 300+ lbs. more than the max load this guy carries. Any of you who are skeptical about this matter, I suggest you look on ebay and other web sites and you will see most light duty 3500 lb trailers have an angle frame and tongue assembly. Also if you look at the builders using tubing on their tongues most are using 14 ga. wall thickness.

Every body has their own way of doing things whether it be right or wrong, people will always have their own opinion. That's one thing I like about this forum. I do take each and every position available and try to learn from it. Sometimes I agree and sometimes I don't and I mean no offense to any one who has posted their own personal opinion. Dave

Thumbs up dabar39

well said. there are some real winners out there. that we have to look out for.they depened on us.they cant help it. there are the ones that think they can back a trialer. and the ones that can tear up a crowbar in a sandpile. it dont matter what it is made of.thinks for the update i have been waiting.
    miller bobcat 250
    wc 115a
    spoolmatic 30a
    centery 250 mic
    2 lincoln 225 stick
    a 1954 hobart portable welder w/ willies jeep engine

Default I ain't mad

I think that the people questioning the integrity of my trailers are not getting the whole picture here. Lets go to common sense 101 here, and review what we have learned.
    1. truck weight: 16,000
    2. empty trailer weight: 880
    3. estimated impact speed 6-8 m.p.h.

Now lets factor in the fence pole wedged against the back of the trailer, I'm sorry guys' but I'm no engineering major but I would have to believe that the trailer held up very well. Is there any one on here who can figure out the math and determine the amount of force exerted by the impact of the truck? I am quite sure the force exerted would have to be way above the 16,000 lb. truck weight, probably double or triple the force weight.

Since I started my business I have personally built 294 trailers in the last 4 years with this being the first one with any kind of damage to the tongue area. I had built dozens of trailers before this time as well. I didn't just wake up one day and say this is how I'm gonna build it, I looked at many of the Big manufacturers and basically copied what they are all doing. If I was the only guy in this business building this way I would say o.k. you got me guys, but I'm sure somebody had an engineer design their trailer frames.

I am not mad, and hold no grudges as it may be. I take this to be a public forum and everybody is going to have a better way to build a mouse trap. I just happen to believe that my mouse trap held up with minimal damage for the incident. Over designing things is not always the answer to the problem, this guy would have tore up a Sherman tank given the opportunity. Dave

We have a bunch of 18000 gvw trailers and they have 12" I-beam in the tongues. In 19 yrs here they have bent [2] of them. belive it or not some people will tear up anything. We accuse the operators of being able to tear up an anvil with a wet napkin

You should be fine with your eyes, they have really good ways to fix them nowadays, good luck again
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]