Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default broken trailer tongue

I had a customer call me up yesterday morning yelling and screaming that the trailer he bought from me about 3 months ago is falling apart and what a piece of crap it was. He tells me that either I didn't weld one side of the tongue to the frame or the weld wasn't good enough and broke. Seeing he lives about a 100 miles away I suggested he take a picture of the problem and e-mail it to me. He sends me one picture of the left side of the tongue, sure enough it's not attached to the frame any longer. The first thing I'm thinking is maybe when the trailer was framed out we just tacked it and forgot to finish weld. I told him to carefully bring it back to me so we could repair it and check over the rest of the trailer. This morning he pulls up with it and I immediately go right to the left side of the tongue and take a look. The weld was fine, It ripped the metal, so I get up and start walking around the trailer to find the problem. He had mounted a tool box on the tongue and the right side of it is caved in, yes you guessed it, he jack knifed the trailer and it's my crappy work to blame. It took me almost an hour and a lot of patience to explain why the tongue was ripped off and wasn't covered under warranty. In the future I think I am going to have to put a stupidity clause in my warranty policy. The first picture is the one he sent me. The others I took, he still thinks he shouldn't have to pay for repair as it's only three month old.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dabar39; 04-06-2007 at 10:46 PM. Reason: should say first pic is same view as the one he sent me
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Default more pics

there is one picture of it in front of my shop the day he picked it up and the other two he sent me after he had it for a few weeks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

This is the reason I agreed with my insurance company when they said I could save several thousand dollars a year if I signed saying that I would not work on trailer hitches, truck side or trailer side. No accounting for the moron that has no idea they they could have damaged their own trailer.

I gladly send this kind of work away and my only regret is that tomorrow I will be following it on the highway when it falls a part, because the owner's neighbor's friend's son has a pocket mig and fixed it for a real good price, just a six pack. Now I have to buy a new suit to go to the funeral.

Good luck on the stupid clause in the warrantee. Maybe a test to see if they are qualified to but instead

TJ
    TJ______________________________________

Default jacket knife trailer

thats the first thing that they say the weld broke the weld broke. does he want you to fix the tool box. looks like he cuter a little sharp. its funny how guys has the *alls to say that the weld just broke.i dont know. it just broke. and you get it and you see right off how it happan just by look at it. stupidity clause that funny thanks for the pics. dabar39
    miller bobcat 250
    wc 115a
    spoolmatic 30a
    centery 250 mic
    2 lincoln 225 stick
    a 1954 hobart portable welder w/ willies jeep engine

Not to be the *****'s advocate, and I'll probably catch some flack for this, but I'm not going to say it's completely the owners fault. Did he jack knife it and initiate damage to the unit, yes. If a tongue is designed and built properly, it should be able to handle the forces that mildly crush a thin walled aluminum tool box. The point at which the tongue to frame failed is a considerable distance from the application stress of a jack knife. In other words, that particular weld had mechanical advantage working for it instead of against it. Judging by the pictures it is an 7K lbs capacity trailer. Personally I wouldn't build a tongue on that size trailer with that small of angle iron. In fact, I don't use angle iron tongues, period. They are either channel or preferable box tubing with a third, centered member running parallel with the trailer frames along the center line of the trailer back to the first cross member. The rest of the trailer can pretty well fall apart, but the tongue is the life line of a trailer and needs to be over built if at all possible. Not to say that "stupid clauses" aren't a good idea, I've thought about putting one together myself. The flip side is that as professionals, we are held to a higher level of design and fabrication. That's why we have jobs. If everyone could weld and fab, then we'd be in big trouble. That's why they come to us to have things done right. Anyway, just my $.02 SSS
    Last edited by SkidSteerSteve; 04-07-2007 at 09:42 AM.

I'm sure the customer is thinking "It is obvious that you should of made the tongue much stronger because you are supposed to anticipate the tool box being mounted there & the fact that it would be jack knifed & damaged." Remember that no one is responsible for there own actions anymore, it is ALWAYS someone elses fault. I applaud you for sticking up for yourself & not just fixing it for free.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

I'm sure the customer is thinking "It is obvious that you should of made the tongue much stronger because you are supposed to anticipate the tool box being mounted there & the fact that it would be jack knifed & damaged."

yea, you could have done that.... but it would have been the equal to a military trailer that the duece and a halfs pull. It would have withstood a hurricane and being dropped off a cliff... but he couldn't have pulled it !

If you DO fix it.... offer to cut the corners off that step bumper that crushed the box !!

Stupid people should have to pay for the right to be that way !!! Reminds me of a sign I saw hand lettered on the back of a flatbed plant truck where I work...

"If idiots could fly, this place would be a ( the "F" expletive deleted) airport"

john

Default Sss

I agree with most of your comments about the trailer, but in my defense when you take a box truck weighing in at about 16,000 pounds and look at the construction of the rear bumper area of the truck there is a major disadvantage to the trailer (especially seeing the trailer weighs in at 880 lbs empty). When you put that much upward pressure on the tongue there has to be an equal and opposite reaction elsewhere on the tongue, the weak link was the tearing of the steel frame. I have built several hundred trailers in my time and this is the first one that has come back for any kind of failure in the tongue construction. Also if you take a good look at pictures you can also see how the jack has been bent by leaving it in the down position and hit on something and the 7 pin connector had to be changed from it not being plugged in and dragged on the road way and also one of the hooks on the safety chains has been bent as if he forgot to unhook it or he has previously dropped the trailer off the ball. Also what the pictures don't show real well is the spare tire mount being bent from hitting something and the right side fender and tail light damage from side swiping an object. All of this in less than three months of service. One more point to add this truck had over 120 degrees of turning radius before making contact with bumper (60 degrees in either direction) that should be more than suffiecent radius to prevent a jack knife condition. All of my trailers are built to the customers specific use intended, a maximum load of 6 soda machines weighing about 350 lbs. each and 6 snack machines weighing about 200 lbs. each giving a pay load of about 3000 lbs. 2"x3"x1/4" can handle that kind of weight with no fear of fatigue or failure. I do use box tubing on some of my tongues and plan on using it on all trailers to come. Dave
    Last edited by dabar39; 04-07-2007 at 10:57 AM.

Cool

We built an 8' x 20' trailer at work, two 6k lb axles, 2100 lb rated tires, 2 5/16 tongue rated at 10k lbs and was told its a 20k lb rated trailer. They balked when I told them the axles were good for only 12k lbs, the tongue 10k lbs, the tires 8400 lbs so we built a huge 8400 lb trailer. Sure nuff when loaded with Cat scraper motor in front, two huge scraper tires towards the middle and back combined with 55 mph and the roughest road this side of the Pecos it bent in half where the arms go underneath the deck. I was asked bout a warranty. I told them there is no warranty for stupidity and replaced the arms with 1/4 x 2 x 4 tubing and gave them a new warranty. Guaranteed till you start it up or hit the brakes, whichever comes first.

if the tongue didn't fail he would be after you to fix his truck all that force has to go someware