Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Dynasty 200DX issue : normal or not???

Hello everybody. I just purchased a new Dynasty 200 DX TIG welder after having used one at a "Demo day" at my local welding store. When powered up, the machine makes a fairly loud humming sound that I did not notice on the demo machine. When powered down, the humming kind of winds down slowly rather than instantly going away. It is there no matter what setting the machine is on, but it does go away after starting an arc in the DC setting. I also own a Maxstar 150SL and that machine does not make this sound. The machine welds fine, but I'm wondering if this is normal or not. My first thought was that there was something wrong with the cooling fan, but it's not the fan. The fan kicks on and off normally.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

The noise you are hearing is most likely the Auto-Line at work, if you will notice it will change pitch slighty as you change the amperage level.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Thanks for the input! It does change pitch slightly, but it does it even while no adjustments are being made. It concerns me how loud it is. I realize it's a different machine, but my Maxstar has Auto Line as well and it only makes a low volume "ticking" kind of noise when sitting idle. I can hear that as well with the Dynasty.

I don't want to take it back to the dealership if there is nothing wrong, but it sure doesn't seem right to me.

Both my Masxtar 150STL and the STH I had were very quiet also, I can hardly hear my Dynasty 200DX due to the cooler fan noise anyway. If it bugs you then take it in and get it checked out, better to be comfortable than always wondering if there is something wrong.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

My Dynasty 200DX makes this noise - I believe that it's normal.

All the inverter machines I have or do own make strange noises, my 200DX makes the noise you describe.

TJ
    TJ______________________________________