Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First bend test

Young Welder, in my experience and learnings GMAW guided bend tests are the hardest to pass. The easiest being TIG, next SMAW, reason being MIG welds can look good visually, but lack of fusion at the root or inter-pass can't be seen. With GTAW, you control the heat and therefore can garantee full fusion. Stick also penetrates well, and starts hot. MIG starts cold, and if the proper technique isn't used, the stop-starts will be the weak point.

The pic is of two roots and two faces on 4" sch 40 steel pipe welded with 309ss GTAW after testing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Very nice Jonny, I was told out of position SMAW would have been the hardest but that really does make sense about GMAW Being the hardest, The way I would get around starting cold would be have a bit of flat bar before the test plate even starts and start cold from there. Even though I think thats how you really do it. I read in a book you can also start and hold in one place and then start to get it to start warm.

Using run-off tabs has its place, and works well. No run-off tabs on pipe though.
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Aircraft Welder View Post
    Johnny TIG is an alias.....anti Johnny TIG is a statement . I'm not really offended. I know there's a lot of people who pick up a MIG torch and they're suddenly "Welders" but most don't realize there's so much more than picking up a gun and splooging a bead on two pieces of metal.
    Whats with the comment? Are you saying I don't know how to weld? Sorry if I interprited you're comment incorectly, but it does sound a bit condisending.

And to answer your previous question, I just HATE wire. I love SMAW and GTAW (except aluminium). Though I do a lot of wire and I'm pretty good at it. As much as I hate wire though I can't argue with the benifets and cost savings and that just makes it all the more proliffic (spelling?), Wich is all the more reason for me to despise it.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by youngwelder_154 View Post
    Very nice Jonny, I was told out of position SMAW would have been the hardest but that really does make sense about GMAW Being the hardest, The way I would get around starting cold would be have a bit of flat bar before the test plate even starts and start cold from there. Even though I think thats how you really do it. I read in a book you can also start and hold in one place and then start to get it to start warm.
    Some companys make you do a stop and start in the middle of each pass when taking a weld test Spray arc sucks for stops and starts but it makes for a very nice weld profile, not to mention little or no spatter (when done correctly).

Start and stops on regular tests arnt that bad to do if you can do it correctly, I always thought in order to do it right you must stop and start in the same place sort of like the way you heat the puddle so it completely goes through the bead and makes good penetration.

The start stop thing is very true, what Anti - GMAW said, and what you have posted. If you want to get good at them, destructive test your start-stops, with each process and position. The broken coupons will show you what weld faults are affecting your weldment, and you will learn what to do to make sound start-stops, with any process on many different joint configurations.
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

The start stop thing is very true, what Anti - GMAW said, and what you have posted. If you want to get good at them, destructive test your start-stops, with each process and position. The broken coupons will show you what weld faults are affecting your weldment, and you will learn what to do to make sound start-stops, with any process on many different joint configurations.
    If your coupons don't break (or show defects larger than 1/8" in any direction) you are doing something right.
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

Talking

Thanks for clarifying that for me Johny, thats prety much right on the money.

I finally get to put my TIG welding to the test of a project I went to my coop placement and got put on my first project I started it yesterday and will be finishing it today. I am working on a lawn mower deck I have to replace 2 pieces that hold the wheels in place nothing to big but definitely going down for my experience I never got to try mild steel and thats exactly what I am using, I was told that it works in the exact same way stainless does but its not as clean I might just give a sample piece a try just to make sure I'm up and ready to go.