Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First bend test

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Default First bend test

At my Co-op placement I got the opportunity to try a 12 gage bend test. It took me almost 3 weeks to actually feel good about trying this. So yesterday I finally got to clean my weld off and What do you know I ended up passing it. Too bad it wasn't actually official. It was stainless steel TIG. I herd TIG was one of the more easier tests to take other then MIG is this true?

Default bend test

YW154,
    Wish I took the TIG test, congrats!!! During my program at votech college, we played with tig ss, mild steel, and aluminum. All we did, was lap,corner,t...
    lap,corner,t...lap,corner,t...until we passed visual inspection...(yes, it DID look darn good by then!!! But, no bend test. Our bend test was only on 3/8"
    plates for stick: 6011 and 7018, vertical and overhead. I got my license for 7018 as the union doesn't use 6011 in the field. Looks like the way you're headed, you won't have trouble, just keep practicing !!! Make a jig at home if you can to practice.Let me know if you want a drawing of one...
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Bert the starting of my sad story is I have no welder at home I wish I did but I am so short on money I can afford one. I will be getting one hopefully in the next year when I can see how my course goes and hopefully do some home jobs for people to make some money. I have the coupons at home and I will take pictures mind you they wont be the best but I will put them on.

I remember when I did my first bend test. I need to start worrying about X-rays.

I didn't run into that yet..... Next year in college I will though. I'm just going to do my best and stay confident and treat it like any other normal welding bead. I want to try a stick bend test but I haven't got to yet. Everyone says a flat bead is easy. I'm trying a GTAW pipe test monday I have been trying them but I just cant seem to get the pipe to fuse. Its really starting to piss me off Its just I have it at like 75 amps and if I put it much higher it will burn through any advice. I have tried to put the tungsten out farther but all that happens is it sticks. I know this makes no difference but I have tried both Lincoln tig and the Miller Syncrowave 250 and I actually found it a lot better to use. I guess I can say I am a miller guy.

Default anti GMAW

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-GMAW View Post
    I remember when I did my first bend test. I need to start worrying about X-rays.
    What's with the anti-GMAW? I kind of feel offedned everytime I see your username.
    Matt Adams A&P, IA
    Trailblazer 302
    Dialarc HF

Offended? Heck, I thought of it as just another alias, not a statement.
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyTIG View Post
    Offended? Heck, I thought of it as just another alias, not a statement.
    Johnny TIG is an alias.....anti Johnny TIG is a statement . I'm not really offended. I know there's a lot of people who pick up a MIG torch and they're suddenly "Welders" but most don't realize there's so much more than picking up a gun and splooging a bead on two pieces of metal.
    Matt Adams A&P, IA
    Trailblazer 302
    Dialarc HF

YW154, gee, during my 2 year program, we didn't even get to do pipe! You'll be farther ahead than a lot of us !!!! Bummer that you don' thave a welder at home, but to be expected, YOU'RE NOT WORKING YET !!!!
    I understand how you feel, never can be soon enough!!! Do the best you can, and maybe by the time you get a welding machine, I'll get a shop (I'm sure you'll win first !!
    regards,
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Bert good luck on getting your show I'm sure everything is going to work out for you. I know I'm just going to continue to try my hardest and not give up!