Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tube grinder

Default tube grinder

I needed something to notch tubes that were hard to hold in a vise. The commercial tube grinders run from 3K up!!! Looked thru the scrap pile, ordered some bearings and pulleys, and slapped this together. It is a real timesaver and will get a paint job soon...

Default Tube grinder...

Hey SNAFU,
    Hmmmm...You must be ex-military...

Nice setup...looks like it will really hog off some material. I use those kinds of belts at work also....love those 20/30grit belts. I noticed the vertical Allen-head bolt....is that your belt tensioner? Think I'll make one for some odd jobs I do on occasion....Thanks....Denny

A local chassis shop just rounds off a grinding stone on their grinders with a dressing tool. I copied their idea and it works great.

Tim

SNAFU, one heck of a scrap pile you got there, very nice machine....did you turn the Aluminum parts, or were they just the right size bar stock???Thanks for sharing, I may have to break down and fab something like that...Paul
    More Spark Today Please

Thumbs up snafu

nice job on tube grinder. i like the way you think!!!!
    miller bobcat 250
    wc 115a
    spoolmatic 30a
    centery 250 mic
    2 lincoln 225 stick
    a 1954 hobart portable welder w/ willies jeep engine

did you turn the Aluminum parts, or were they just the right size bar stock
    They were turned with a crown to the middle so the belt would track right. The middle roller is on a spring loaded arm that makes changing belts easy. I get good life out of a belt, really surprised at how well they hold up.
    Thanks for the compliments, I will post some pics after painting.

Yeah, that's cool.

Nice Job.... I gets me thinking...

Great job, looks good.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Thumbs up Snafu

Great job, just wondering how many hours you got into the machine work involved. We use a tubing notcher on our stock car roll cages but this looks like it may speed things up a bit. Guess I gotta try to build one like it now. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en