Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Welding pics.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    Where did you pick up that tidbit??

George Gilchrist built the first pancake right after WWII because commercialy made welding hoods were in short supply (like a lot of things), and sold them until his death (his were signed with an engraver) in the late 1990's.

Why anyone would make one is beyond me, but to each his own.

The most popular brands are Sarge's, and Wendy's. Both are pretty good.

JTMcC.
    Excuse the **** out of me big boy--------- just passing on some info from what I seen in the past, ole god welder guru.
    pull-do

that tank is about 20 tonne ,fell from the sky ,when moving it,they were using ancure bolt holes to rig it up to move it{some peoples children** welded one side!!!and ya they broke ,it then drug down one of the 20 tonne demags down too, was a mess and lucky no one was hurt,think i sent 2 the other is cutting pipe for prstcing for my 6 inch
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Those pancakes look especially handy for welding at night, which I do often. I was thinking of that just tonight, in fact. I kept clear glasses on under my hood because of all the light bouncing around, which just reminds you that it's doing that during the day, too, you just don't notice it as much. Of course, your pupils are more dilated at night, too, so it would be more severe anyway.
    and why are your pupils dilated mac?

Quote Originally Posted by pull-do View Post
    Excuse the **** out of me big boy--------- just passing on some info from what I seen in the past, ole god welder guru.

Now your're mad cause I caught you makin stuff up???

LOL

There are many topics I don't know anything about. I keep my mouth shut on those topics. Look around, there are tons of threads and topics that I read and observe, but do not post like I know things I really don't. It works out well.

JTMcC.

So your stance is that I shouldn't correct the missinformation because it might hurt your feelings??!!

LOL X2.

There are people who really do know the answers to certain questions, the interweb can be a really nice resource for spreading that information, but not if people who DO know aren't willing to correct people who DON"T know.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    Now your're mad cause I caught you makin stuff up???

LOL

There are many topics I don't know anything about. I keep my mouth shut on those topics. Look around, there are tons of threads and topics that I read and observe, but do not post like I know things I really don't. It works out well.

JTMcC.

So your stance is that I shouldn't correct the missinformation because it might hurt your feelings??!!

LOL X2.

There are people who really do know the answers to certain questions, the interweb can be a really nice resource for spreading that information, but not if people who DO know aren't willing to correct people who DON"T know.
    No, don't really care what you know or don't know, I've served my time in the industry, -----------
    didn't quite post it like it was going to read by a patent lawyer/welder, what I meant was -------let's see if I can possibly get this worded exactly right to suit your standards------they were around us here in the 60's ------- ole crap, excuse me ------it was March the 9th, 1964 at 1332 CST.

I know somebody invented them, just like everything else out in the field, it all starts somewhere by somebody, didn't quite know all the rules that was expected of me ole great guru.
    pull-do

You get your feelings hurt pretty easy don't you?

There was no slam, insult or dig at you, only the facts of the situation. That's what these forums are about in my opinion. You may see it different.

Thank goodness you don't get the flak I do here or you'd of left long ago
    i'm all growd up and I can handle the abuse

JTMcC.

Quote Originally Posted by alha View Post
    Gotcha. Do you have any recommendations as to a brand to buy? Are there any that stand out from the crowd, or is it a personal preference?

I know you didn't ask me, but I do actually use pancakes so I'll throw this in.

I prefer Sarge's, they come in 2 or 3 different depths, so you can use a regular lens, a regular lens with a cheater, or an auto lens with cheater.

Lot's of people like Wendy's, they have a longer, but not as tall, side piece. They also make an extra light (all pancakes are light compared to a bucket hood) model, but they are pretty flimsy. I'm not sure how many depths they make.

It's really a crapshoot as both brands are high quality, both companies are good to deal with and stand behind the product. I've owned both, in fact I've got 3 sarges right now.

JTMcC.

JT, does either manufacturer you listed offer the Pancake with a shield on both sides? Reason I ask is I am ambidextrous, and I switch back and forth throughout the day, so I don't really purchase equipment designed for "left" or "right" I must admit you guys have me scratching my head on this one. I have never seen such a creation up here before. I viewed a picture on another thread and thought someone was setting up an April's Fool joke. I like to think of myself as fairly open-minded about these kind of things. I might like to try one someday.

Thanks
    Later,

speed glass all the way!!iv been in the indusry for close to 15 years now and have used mine for about 9 of them years,done a lot of things with it,its been droped from at least 20 feet{twice**, sat on buy a fat guy had had a couple hundred litres of hot brine (potash mine)dumped on it,and it still wrks fine!!

Where can you buy Sarge's? Do they have a web site? wendys helmets can be ordered with side pieces on both sides for extra 15 dollars