Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast

Thread: young or old

Quote Originally Posted by man of steel View Post
    first of all good thread, got me thinking.ve been at this trade for almost 13 years now ,was a general contractor and was a master carpenter by the time i was 24,but i hated wood so i tried my hand at welding,started off getting my structural tickets within the first year(my first job they demanded everything to be welded in the flat position only Ha Ha I turned those things upside down and backwords and i think thats when the bug bit me.You see im a perfectionist sob and if i master something i get bored and move on,but trying to get the perfect bead everytime has eluded me(my welding is like me shooting pool) when im on i cant be beat ,but if im haveing a bad day, i know when im beat ,id rather pack it up for the day than put out anything i wouldnt be proud of.Now looking to the future im proud to say im a fully certified welder and if its made of metal i can pass any test on this planet (i currently hold nuclear, aerospace and pressure vessel tickets (alot of hard work and tons of practice lol (anyway thanks to whoever started this thread for the blast to the past god bless Check this pic out(its from a demineralizing unit(nuclear) bastich had to be done in position 316 ss and proceedures called for a tig root and 316 stick fill and cap a little messy but it was quite a challenge cutting out the old and putting in the new in position
    .................................................. .............
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brent A Guest

Bought myself my first wirefeed welder on my 21'st birthday I'm now 22.

Man of Steel,
    ok...WOW! COOL JOB!!! Since you got the experience, I see all your welds are shiny silver! Did you run the wire brush over it? The little ss coupons I did, my instructor said it had to have a rainbow color. Other guys on the other thread said no, has to be almost all 1 color/copper looking. I had some that were both and had some that came out all silver! Which is right for you?

Brent A,
    Doesn't look like the bottom toes of your weld fused into really good, or is it my eyesight? Need to know, 'cause I'm learning how to critique my own welds.
    thanks guys,
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Brent A,
    Forgive me for being so rude!!! I'd like to say "WELCOME TO THE BOARD, DUDE!!!"
    I'm not late...

I welded a couple of times when i was about 7 with my dads millermatic 210. I didnt weld anymore until i was 15. I learned how to stick and mig. I am now 18 and just tried to tig yesterday.....and i suck at it Well thats my welding career.

Brent A welcome. always good to add to the mix.
    wizzade, dont give up on TIG . it takes a little work to get the hang of it but you will realy like it once you do.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default re color of ss welds

hey bert there is no right or wrong ,the blueish color is an indicator that your heat is set nicely,dull grey brown is running a little hotbut as long as your not undercutting and your fusin is good then there isnt too much to be concerned about. As for the welds in my pics, yes i wire wheel them with the grinder because they are x rayed in position and i dont like to give them any reason for a fail(havent had one in the 13 +years at it

Man of Mystery...I mean STEEL!!!
    cool, thanks !!
    I'm not late...

Default started welding

my first post ever... , i started welding when i was 7 in our workshop by the time i was 8 i was welding hardfacing rods onto our earthmoving fleet everything from a 20 tonne excavator to our 2 , d-11 dozers. now im 18 i mostly drive the machines but weld on them probably 4 or 5 times a week , when ever something needs repairing. had a lot of practise for a young kid

samc,
    I'm 46 and just got into is recently. (oh, welcome to the board!!)
    At my age, I can say:
    LUCKY KID!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...