Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: young or old

14 or 15 first learned arc 15 mig and thats all i know right now and now denny here is helping me with giving me tips and ideas even though he aint up here at my home

wow I'm a late bloomer. Started at 21, now I'm 26 completed my training and run a portable truck fabbing anything that comes along.
    Freelance Fabber
    Mobile>
    '01 Dodge 1ton w/deck
    07 Miller Trailblazer 302g
    Miller HF251-d
    3hp air compressor
    Spectrum 275 Extreme
    Shop>
    Miller Dynasty 300sd
    Lincoln Migpak 180

This is not really about welding, but thanks Richard for the nice comment on the Marines. All the branchs are full of excellant people as well as this site
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Well, I started welding with a borrowed AC 225 Tombstone the summer of 1966, I turned 17, can't remember if it was before or after my birthday (in June). The "learning project" was welding the roll bars in my first Hobby Stock (circle track car). A friend gave me a primer, instructed me to "make sure you burn it in", and weld away I did. I burned some holes, and had to weld 'em shut. "That's OK, you know you got it burned in that way!" was what I was told. I'm a lot older, and hopefully a little wiser, now! I rolled that car end-over-end 6 times, and the bars held up, so I guess my welding wasn't too bad, but getting banged around in the seat started back problems that caused me to get a spinal fusion in 1997. I mig welded a very little bit on one job that I had in the fall of '67, then never mig welded again til a couple years ago. I bought my own AC 180 Tombstone in late '68 or early '69, and built a bunch of race cars with that little welder over the years, it still welds like it's brand new.

Ed
    Lincoln Tombstone 180 AC
    Hobart Handler 120
    Millermatic 210
    Old Harris O/A setup
    Victor SuperRange II on propane
    Hypertherm Powermax 380
    Ryobi 14" chop saw
    Milwaukee Sawzall
    A bunch of grinders
    A lotta other tools

Check out my website at: Ed Eldridge's Race Page

http://www.millerwelds.com/education/projects/mboard/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1518&dateline=1167491  754

I just started this year. I'm taking a welding course at the local college(only automotive O/A, though, but better then nothing), bought myself a HH 187. I want to build a motorcycle trailer eventually and do some decorative gates. I will be 50 next month(oh, the horror of it!)

Cool

I`am glad to see people remebering old memories

Inferno Forge

Chris

my dad but 5/32 lo/hi in my hand at 12 and told me to do a vert. he chip slag off and took stinger away from me cause i could do it better than him. now i only burn 50 lb lo/hi a day if i use that antiquated stick. 25-50 lb 232 wire more my liking per day if im turned loose with tb302 and suitcase.

Default How old...

I was 48 when I used a repair on my RV as an excuse to buy a Millermatic 135 to fix. Since then I have bought a Dynasty 200DX, a Spectrum 375 and a myriad of metal shop working tools.

A day spent building something from stock metal is so cool.

Steve

I was about 12 when i started, trying to fix my cracked bmx frame with the nabours lincoln buzz box, i kinda just blew huge holes in the frame i guess it was a start tho. about a year later my dad bought me a 135 for christmas to build bikes and little projects, i think i ended up building more stuff for him than i did for myself. The only thing i dont like about the welding programs in the highschools now is that they dont bother to teach you stick first.. they just hand you a mig or tig. i think stick is an essential skill. You can pretty much use it anywhere and is most common on construction sites.
    Jorgensen MFG.
    Custom trailers:from utility to semi trailers i make em all.
    argonweld_bjorn@hotmail.com
    www.ehhitch.com

stick is wee bit slow 4 me tho