Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: young or old

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Homeshcoolweldor and the rest of you,
    MAKE ME SICK!!! (JEALOUS!!!) 45 now and just started 2 1/2 years ago Wish I started at your age...See all the things I missed out on...
    Dad was a insurance man....shucks...
    bert
    Thanks Bert that makes me feel better

Of course your welds probably look 20 times better than mine

Oh, well. I'll just continue practicing.

turbo38t Guest

Started at about 18-19 I guess. Tried stick welding with no guidance, not much look . My bosses chair broke apart the second he sat in it. Bought a Century MIG after that and had some pointers. Taught myself. Built 4 or 5 minitrucks with hydraulics, air rides, channels and body mods, then at 28 started my first fulltime welding job at a large construction company and have learned ten fold in the short year I have been there. Dave

Homeschoolweldor,
    School was for 2 years. 1st year: 6 months 6011,6 months 7018 4 days a week, 3 hours a day (minus summer,holidays, etc.). 3rd semester was TIG stainless and aluminum on small plates: lap,corner,T over and over until it looked GREAT! Now welding something "real life", didn't look so great...but I LOVE the practice!!!! Since I wasn't one of the kids hanging around the "duck pond" and actually went there to LEARN, I did ok...Still not as good as my instructors by far!!! OR a lot of these guys on the forum!!!
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

I started with a tombstone welder in my dads auto shop when I was 15 (I had to do it when he was test driving). The other mechanics helped me out at first and when my school grades went down I took a night school welding class to graduate. I was welding as often as possible until I went in the Marines and had a job that had nothing to do with metal work. I got out and worked odd jobs on different farm equipment until I got my present job that again has nothing to do with metal work. Days off and “honey do’s” is about the only time I get to put on the hood.

4 H welding class when I was in junior high about 40 years ago. Welded for about 10 years on the farm then a 25 year hiatus and a new miller 210. What fun.

15 years old, gas welding for 4 months, MIG and Sticking for 3 weeks

Started 4 months ago at 65.

Harris

Funny I see alot of Marines on here....Semper Fi... Interestin ages of people trying welding, range from teenager to 65, pretty cool. Keep it up, Teach a kid to weld, or a retired person!
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

started welding around age 10 . my Father was a welder
    had his own business with welding rigs and everything
    welded with my Father
    . . he was the Best ! . . . that was my Dad.

age 10 as best I can remember

[QUOTE=HMW;8566]Funny I see alot of Marines on here....Semper Fi...

I work with a lot of ex-Marines, one thing I know that all Marines are cool guys . . just a special quality, Marine = great person

my Father was a Marine

Richard