Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: young or old

11 when I was taught by my dad about stick welding. 14 when I first picked up a MIG gun and welded a bead. 17 when I finished my first year of Vocational training. Now 30, and practice most common forms of welding monthly.
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

I was thirteen when I first picked up an AO torch, and was addicted by the fire. (I'm a bit of a pyro) Fourteen when I first mig welded, 15 when I first stick welded and 16 when I started Mig welding daily at work. Also tried Tig welding at 16 and the beads are looking pretty nice now. Just turned 17 not to long ago, so Iv'e got lots of time to practice.
    If you love it, you will become good at it.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

Interesting post. I started at 11 welding crab pot frames together. With stick of course which is hard because the frames where made from 1/4" round stock. Not a very big weld, but I had fun. Grew up using just stick [lots of farm equipment] after serving in the Marines, went to work for local town in the garage [mechanic] and did most of the welding there on construction equipment. After a couple of years went to work for the local electric utillity, where i am still at 19 years latter. [ 43 yrs old now]Started here as an equipment and hydraulic technician. Did road work for 8 yrs and now am shop foreman. Although mechanics by trade, we do a considerable amount of fabrication and welding in the reapir and maintenance of line equipment. Have a welding business on the side that I enjoy alot. Really cool to read where everybody has worked and different things people have done. Keep on posting, I'm sure there are more guys that have had interesting careers.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

I'm 31 now. Started welding with my dad and brother when I was eleven or so. Brother was making fun of me saying that I probably couldn't even get a stick to light up without sticking. Proved him wrong on the first try. (not that it was pretty,or even usable, but the rod didn't stick!!) We were building corner and tensioning posts for some fence dad was building. That was on an AC only Lincoln 225 cracker box that is still in the family, BTW. Did stick only until I was 21 and bought a small wire feeder for FC only. After that there was no turning back. Started building trailers, implements, truck accessories, and who knows how much repair and maintenance work. For a short time after college, I worked for a LWS in Atlanta as a route driver hauling gases. That's where I stocked up on equipment since I was eligible for employee discounts. Racked up a MM210, Spectrum 375, Syncrowave 180, and a Bobcat 250. Should be set for this addiction for a while....yay right! There's still $10K of stuff I want! SSS

My 5 year old daughter has been asking me for a couple of weeks to try welding. I finally got her started on the MIG machine this past weekend. She's really into art projects, so she really likes the idea of making her own "sculpture". I was surprised how well she did tracking the seam and manipulating the gun. She won't be welding trailers (we'll wait until she 6 for that! ) but she's sticking stuff together!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Worked for a welder doing pipe work in OKC when I was 17 (1980 ish).
    Flash forward 27 years. Received a MIG from a fallen friend, determined to learn how to use it they way my buddy did.
    First project (rockrail for my jeep) installed last night.
    Will post some pics

7 here, too. I remember the machine my dad had at the time, a Hobart with the footprint of a refrigerator and about half as high. We had a homemade AC/DC full-wave rectifier on it, too.

I remember building our first welding trailer with it and then we bought a Lincoln Ranger 8 for the trailer.

Other than O/A, everything was Stick. Even tubing gates and stuff. I never touched a MIG or TIG or plasma cutter until I was in my mid-20s.

Default young or old

man this thread brings back old memories. burned my first rod at about 12 or 13 years old remember it very well. on my brother-in-laws farm. useing a old linicon welder wear you pull the led out of the welder to change the voltage. remember it looking like indians shooting arrows at the steel from the rods sticking. didnt use my first mig til 18 or 20 years ago.thin i was hook. went to work in mine construction for 12 years got tired of liveing on the road.and being a single parnt with twin girls. now have a small business on the side with my farther-in-law. and working for the village i live in. im 47 now and feel like 27 haha
    miller bobcat 250
    wc 115a
    spoolmatic 30a
    centery 250 mic
    2 lincoln 225 stick
    a 1954 hobart portable welder w/ willies jeep engine

Homeshcoolweldor and the rest of you,
    MAKE ME SICK!!! (JEALOUS!!!) 45 now and just started 2 1/2 years ago Wish I started at your age...See all the things I missed out on...
    Dad was a insurance man....shucks...
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

I started at the age of 12 with my first stick project at school and have been MIG welding for 3 years oxy fuel for 2 and TIG for about 1 month. I don't think I could ever give up my addiction to burning metal.