Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: young or old

Default Started off young.

I was in my early teens when I first used a welder. Got sidetracked after High School working on cars and getting Journeyman ticket in Auto Mechanics. Then heard call of the road and lost over a decade of my life behind the wheel. The last 3 years I owned my own winch tractor & lowbed. Now at 34 I no longer drive 'em, I just build 'em. Started out with SMAW to learn the puddle. Now SMAW, GMAW, FCAW self-shield and dual-shield, GTAW, CAC and very little OAW. CAC and SMAW for repairs. Usually GMAW (short circuit & spray arc) and FCAW dual shield for new fabrication. Lots of QT-100 steel and 44W Mild steel over 1-1/2" thick so pre-weld and post-weld heat treatment is required. GMAW is usually .035" or .045" S-6 wire 85/15 Argon/CO2 blend. FCAW usually Hobart Fabco 110 .045" same gas or sometimes a version of a T-91 for repairs.

Later,

WOW! Glad you came on the board!!!
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Default Blackwolf

Alright, another mechanic on here, I'm not lonely anymore
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Talking Mechanic

My two passions - anything mechanical and anything metal. I build oilfield trucks during the weekdays and build/maintain stocks cars evenings & weekends. Spent two seasons on the Cascar Super Series West tour in the mid 90's, now stay home and weld on various stock cars at our home track in Hythe, AB. IMCA modifieds and 360 Sprint Cars have to be my favourites.

Later,

one time...uh huh.....I changed the chain on my bicycle
    I'm not late...

Baby Steps Bert, Baby Steps.

You have to learn to crawl before you can walk.

Later,

at 45.....still taking baby steps
    I'm not late...

Talking

most high tech thing i ever welded was a late model rollcage,( used tig on some of it)

Inferno Forge

Chris

Default started like most

I started burning holes in steel when I was about 11, using my Dad's old stick welder. It was only a short time before I really started welding (well burning fewer holes anyway). Had a few shop classes in high school and enjoyed them a lot. Then I spent several years away form metal work, tried collage but eventually ran off to sea.

When I got tied of life on the ocean I got a job in a factory that made food service equipment. That's where I started to TIG and fell in love with welding all over again.

About four years ago I learned I have a rare genetic disorder (spinal bulbar muscular atrophy) long story short at some unknown point in the future I'll be paralyzed. I'm 35 now and the doctors tell me I've any where from 5 to 20 years before I stop walking.

That was a kick in the head but it was motivation to stop working in a factory and start my own business doing art and welding. My wife is an artist to and we have been in business for two years I love every day of it and would not change a thing.

Not to sound to corny but remember life is short and changes fast so you are better off doing what you love today.

preacher
    If you had fun making it, you did a good job

Miller Syncrowave 200
    Hobart Airforce 250A
    HH 135
    Smith O/A
    and a LOT of hammers

Well Preacher that is a testimony for many people for sure!! Btw how did you get that handle??