Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thanks Sundown for info. I have never welded anodized so all the info is good. Matter of fact I have only been learning T.I.G the last 4-5 yrs. Still learning. Where I work, Tig is not used, just MIG [shop] and stick [road work]so I've learned about tig sorta own my own. I really enjoy it. I have a small business on the side and thats where I play with the TIG...ha ha ha [really a mechanic by trade shop foreman now ] but always loved welding and in Fleet equipment repair work have done plenty of it.
    Never have fished the white Marlin open, but been to many of them. Lots of fun but now so many people go its difficult to see. When I was growing up we would just sit on the dock and watch then bring fish in. That was along time ago [I'm 42 now] . Do you know which marina the boat is docked at. My sons worked at both big marinias here.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Been welding anodized for many a year, but still looking for that magic setup. Seems that the weld result can vary from day to day, not sure why. Oned day the welds are all bright and beautiful and flow like butter, 95% of the oxide will blow away, the next day is a battle with porosity and flow like polar opposites and the oxide will pepper the weld.. 5356 is actually my choice for numerous reasons.

grinding isn't an option, excessively time consuming in a manufacturing setting, and if you make a mistake, the piece will be unusable. you get one shot to get it right. it's better to use the pulse option to aid in blasting the anodize off without building excessive heat. the welds are usually brushed with an aluminum paint to regain some of the original appearance and provide some protection.

There are a couple manufacturers with really pristine weld results out there, but I have found over the years that these setups and method will not be posted or disclosed. they are generally hard earned secrets and not easy to attain or replicate. talent is a must when welding anodized even if you have a sweet setup. I found the setups I have come up with are hard on tungsten (orange) There has to be a setup with better tradeoffs.

but if anyone would care to give up a setup for the 300DX, please shoot me an email.

Hi all,
    Will somebody tell me how to know wether its a clear coat or anodized??
    Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by steph View Post
    Hi all,
    Will somebody tell me how to know wether its a clear coat or anodized??
    Thank you in advance.
    Scrape with a knife in an area that will not be seen, and if you get paint like residue, it is probably paint [clearcoat], you can then try and burn and see what happens, Hope this helps steph, Paul
    More Spark Today Please

Thanks a lot Paul.