Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Well, that carbide toothed blade is rated at 4400 rpm, so I guess it should workon a 3800 rpm machine, just make sure to wear full face protection for awhile, I would use a weld hood with clear lens...Paul
    More Spark Today Please

The bullet blade will work just fine in a reg. chop saw...they are back ordered until next week. I have the 7 1/4 in my circular saw now and have cut 1/2" strips with it ....the Morse metal d evil worked OK but for the price I could have gotten 4 of the bullet ind. ones. I have also used the flap disk and like them over the other cheap ones I have used.
    Mike
    George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 with SG

Called Bullet today and the blades are made in Hong Kong and they are designed for the full RPM of most abrasive chop saws ~4000 rpms. I guess for $40 I will give it a try. It has to be better than the abrasive wheels. I am primarily cutting 16 gauge exhaust tubing and DOM and CrMoly
    Last edited by JnJSpdShop; 04-03-2007 at 04:38 PM.

I bought a 14" Steel Max (www.steelmax.com) last weekend and TOTALLY love it! got sick of my RIDGED abrasive saw cutting pipe crooked, no matter if I went slower or not. However, price for the abrasive: $200. Metal Carbide was $500 with and extra blade. Abrasive: 3800rpm (as posted earlier, and the steelmax is 'bout 1/2 that speed). Didn't get a bandsaw, 'cause I don't have the floor space in my storeroom. Will get one when I do.
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

chop saw i have better more true cuts with a chop saw then a band saw just remember to if u r using metal tht is longer then chop saw base to have ur hand on it

The chop saw I have with abrasive blade wanders sometimes. The horizontal band saw does better for me. its stationary not a porta-band. I have one of those too and it works good on strange angles but doesnt always cut perfectly straight either. I may try one of those blades they look like they do good and would cut straighter.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Default wandering blades

Quote Originally Posted by HMW View Post
    The chop saw I have with abrasive blade wanders sometimes. The horizontal band saw does better for me. its stationary not a porta-band. I have one of those too and it works good on strange angles but doesnt always cut perfectly straight either. I may try one of those blades they look like they do good and would cut straighter.
    u wont have blade wander unless u bog the blade down into the metal if u do it slow and steady then u will b fine and make sure ur metal is fastened down correctly.
    Dwayne

I've used chop saws for probably 20+ yrs and had different brands. Mine is not so bad real slow in flat bar. But sometimes in angle or definately pipe it will go off, especially with a new blade, on the other hand the old stationary bandsaw makes a great cut. But I love the chop saw if i need something quick. still might try that blade
    Scott

dennisl Guest

Default What kind of bandsaw?

To take a slightly different direction in this discussion, does anyone have experience using a standard bandsaw (i.e., wood cutting type) for cutting metal? I used on in a welding class and found it very useful for more intricate cuts. The blade speed needs to be much slower than for wood, of course. Otherwise, any thoughts?

Yes we turned a wood cutting one into a metal cutting. It had 3 speeds and we put it at its slowest. Put on a metal cutting blade and does a good job on small pieces like 10 ga thick. Some good bandsaws may even have more speeds
    Scott