Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

If you go the bandsaw route, just remember that no matter how cheap the bandsaw is, buy a good quality BIMETAL blade. Don't even bother using the cheap blade that comes with it.

If you want an abrasive chop saw or a carbide chop saw, let me know; mine are for sale before I move to Papua New Guinea next month. They are currently in Las Vegas.

Same here, have both but only use the chop saw on something real quick and if it doesnt need to fit perfect. Sometimes the chop saw will not cut straight on a piece of pipe where the band saw does. by band saw I mean a horizontal model. Both work good depending on what you want. Good luck
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

An abrasive saw has it's place in the shop too crib. I use mine for it's portability
    and when the cut quality is not important. When I just need to "chop" a piece in two. I find that blade wander is an issue with abrasive saws. Not so in a well tuned band saw.

The band saw is used, by me for most all cutting of material. I find mine is accurate, quick, reliable, and in making repeated cuts nothing is better. I also like that I can set up a cut and go back to another project, thus allowing more production.
    I like that when cutting stainless I no longer end up with discolored material.

TJ
    TJ______________________________________

Quote Originally Posted by MYBOYDAVE View Post
    What Do You Think The First Cutting Tool Should Be
    A Chop Saw Or A Portable Band Saw
    Take into consideration that I've no experience using a portable band saw.

If accurate cutting is the highest priority, my choices, in order from most to least desirable, would be:

1. Stationary band saw ($300 and up) (not one of your listed options)
    2. Chop Saw ($130 and up)
    3. Portable band saw ($200 and up)

If portability is the highest priority, reverse the order.

(prices estimated with a quick "Froogle" search limited to recognized brand names. Homier and Harbor Freight offerings edited out.)
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS

The ubiquitious 4x6 bandsaw costs about $200, and I agree with TomVeatch...once you use one, the abrasive saw will sit in the corner.

I bought mine from enco ( www.use-enco.com ), but HF also sells a version. I built a new stand for mine, and have a few other mods done to it, but it's one of my most used tools.

edit: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

$199 right now, and you con find a free shipping code elsewhere on the net.

-James
    Last edited by jamscal; 04-02-2007 at 02:11 PM. Reason: new info

Default my preference

I like the band saw for doing multiple cuts, straightness of cut, and the ability to do other things when cutting, but out in the field I will take the chop saw for the portability. Portaband when it's convient or I'm too lazy to go to the other saws. It all depends on what the job is and size of the material, chop saw is definatly easier to transport and usally quicker, band saw gives a better cut but takes more time to cut, and port a band takes some skill and patients for a straight cut. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by 84ZMike View Post
    Another idea to toss at ya as well would be this in a regular chop saw....
    http://www.bulletindustries.com/cata...roducts_id/449
    as far as "first cutting tool" do you have a grinder yet.....if not get one and some cut off wheels for it as well......I started with this and then moved to a jig saw......then added a saws all........I have a port band saw as well it is slow and is very easy to put too much pressure on it and away goes the squareness of the cut......I like my chop saw and am working on my O/A set up....just need tanks......
    Good luck,
    Mike

Wondering how these work in regular a chop saw designed for regular friction abrasive?? I am liking the price

Quote Originally Posted by J&J Speed Shop View Post
    Wondering how these work in regular a chop saw designed for regular friction abrasive?? I am liking the price
    I agree, that price is very attractive, and the video at that link seems to show it being used in a regular chop saw.

Hawk Saw Blades makes a metal cutting blade in various sizes. I've used their "Metal D*e*v*i*l" (can't believe word was censored!) in a regular circular saw to cut pieces out of a 3/8 plate.

(if you want to use the link, you'll have to manually enter the censored word replacing the asterisks in the link after your browser tells you it can't find the page)
    Last edited by envano; 06-14-2007 at 08:45 AM. Reason: censored word in link
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS

I would imagine the teeth would not last very long at the speeds an abrasive saw turns. 14 inch Abrasive saws turn at 3800 rpm compared to 1490 for Carbide tipped blades. These speeds are from the Hitachi Site, but other brands would have similar speeds. The heat would kill them fast....Paul
    Last edited by paulrbrown; 04-03-2007 at 04:16 AM.
    More Spark Today Please

I'm hoping those recommendations are for a carbide blade that is designed for the speeds of abrasive saws. I did hear that there is a recent line of these products. But if they aren't, I'd be more worried about other things than the teeth on the blade.

I had actually missed the OP about PORTABLE band saw v. chop saw. If these are the choices, the chop saw is better for most fabrication. Portabands are fairly specialized and more difficult to use accurately. Of course, there are many times when they are the perfect tool for the job; I'll take one over a sawzall anytime it will fit if I'm cutting vertically.

Just start buying saws; eventually you'll have one of every kind.