Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

84Zmike...no I wasn't referring to the saw blades for a regular saw. Although I'm glad you tried them and posted your findings. I was wondering how they did. This is a regular "slower" turning cold saw made to cut metal. This saw is a little less expensive than the one in your post, but this one doesn't have a cooling system either. The one in your post might be better. Although this one worked great I don't know how long the blades would last since we only had it for the day. Here's the link, I think. They also show the "circular saw" type. It worked good also, but again dont know how long the blades would last. I kinda like the one in your post.

http://www.tubing-benders.com/evolution/355.html
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Morse makes the evolution saw.....Milwakee,dewalt and a few others make them as well.....the cold saw is completely different and a much nicer cut.
    Mike
    George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 with SG

Hi Mike, I checked em all out. It seems that besides the cost, the big difference between the Evolution, Millwaukee, dewalt and the cold saw you posted is RPM. A regular "abrasive wheel" cut off saw runs around 2800 rpms, the Millwaukee/dewalt/evolution "cold saw" runs around 1500 rpm and the hyd-mech brand you posted runs very slow at just 50 RPM. Plus that one has coolant too. That alone will help with blade life. I think if I was going to buy a new "cold" saw I would buy the Hyd-mech brand you posted. The evolution worked OK but I'm sure at 50 rpms and coolant pump the Hyd-mech would be a better one. Just might have to get one now

Scott
    Scott

Saw (no pun intended) this one yet? Bought it for $500 with an extra blade.
    http://www.steelmax.com/saws_s14.htm
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Smile Thanks To All

Thanks To All Of You Who Replied To My Thread
    Readind All Of The Replies, Im Going For The Portable Band Saw.
    I Wish I Could Afford The Vertical Or Horizontal Ones But I Cant.
    I Thought About The The Dust ,cost Of All The Blades I Will Have To Buy And Keep On Hand ,the Possibility Of Flying Debree And Everthing Else You Guys Explained.i Will Getting The Milwuakee Variable Speed Portable Band Saw. The Cost Is About $300.00 Plus Tax.

The portable band saw will be good to use. Also cool looking saw Bert!
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by MYBOYDAVE View Post
    I Thought About The The Dust ,cost Of All The Blades I Will Have To Buy And Keep On Hand ,the Possibility Of Flying Debree And Everthing Else You Guys Explained.i Will Getting The Milwuakee Variable Speed Portable Band Saw. The Cost Is About $300.00 Plus Tax.

Please post how your bandsaw works out for you so others that have read this post and are debating the same question can see how you feel about your decision. I hope works out for you and the bandsaw works well.
    Little Fabrication

Miller DVI2
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Thermodynamics cutmaster 38
    HF 130 tig

Third Class Power Engineer

You will not be dissapointed with that! I use mine daily and i'm not sure how i'd do without it. BTW when I purchased mine I found the best price from Amazon.com something like $260 w/$50 gift certificate and free shipping.
    Zach
    AIM: Zachary188

Hey Guys First Time On The Board
    Just Got Into Welding And I Think Its Great
    I Already Got About 3 Or 4 Different Projects I Want To Do
    But I Need The Right Tools First
    What Do You Think The First Cutting Tool Should Be
    A Chop Saw Or A Portable Band Saw
    This Is Not My Job Just For Fun
    Thanks In Advance To All Who Reply
    I still haven't made up my mind on the band saw hot saw question but in the mean time I have had great luck using my Milwawkee Super Sawzall with a long bimetal blade.
    Works great and it's quiet and not much mess.

I bought an abrasive chop saw first... it did the job for much less money. About 3 months after that I bought the Milwaukee dry cut machine and I've never been happier.. I can actually cut a 1/16 piece out of some tubing.. It's very precise which is good for fit ups, making sure your project is square, and does wonders for any tig welding jobs. I have a portable bandsaw that collects dust... but the stand up works well for steeper angle cuts and weird cuts that might be difficult with the dry cut machine.