Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by weldingman251 View Post
    im guessing ur talking bout a horizontal badnsaw then yea but im talking bout a vertical one

My bandsaw can be used as a vertical one as well. just stand the blade up attach a work table, which came with the bandsaw and start cutting. The oil pump has its own switch so it can be turned off for this type of work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Little Fabrication

Miller DVI2
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Thermodynamics cutmaster 38
    HF 130 tig

Third Class Power Engineer

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 84ZMike View Post
    True but....good chop saw $200 ish mods came from my scrap pile so cost was time

Good band saw $800 and up......
    For a home hobbiest I'll stick with my chop saw.........yes a band saw would be nice,but I can't justify the $$..........use the holders I built for my chop saw in your band saw and see how much faster it will cut and how much longer your blades last.......
    Mike

Your holders most likely would prolong the blade life and may be of some help. They are great ideas and should help out others allot. The one point that allot of people miss which I mentioned above, is the cost of the disks and blades. the bandsaw I have cost 699.00 from harbor freight if you are in the US and 899.99 from princess Auto if you are in Canada. When talking to several chopsaw users which some were just hobbyest. It supriased them the amount of cutting I was doing at the cost I was doing it at. I guy that just played in his garage could have saved a couple hundred in a year. So after two years he spent 400.00 plus the 250.00 he paided for the chopsaw. thats getting very close if not the full price of a decent bandsaw. Watch for the sales and you can save a little more. Allot of people don't realize the cost of running a chopsaw and bandsaw and after the money is spent, its hard to change .

Chopsaws are good tools but when you think of the whole picture, a decent band saw is allot closer than one thinks.

This is just my take on this and feel everyone should know all the facts before spending their hard earned money.
    Little Fabrication

Miller DVI2
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    HF 130 tig

I see what you are saying......good point....
    Mike
    George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 with SG

Quote Originally Posted by 84ZMike View Post
    I see what you are saying......good point....
    Mike
    Thanks Mike.

its nice dealing with poeple like you who measure each point and keep their cool while having a discussion like this. Their is always some good in everyone posts for people to learn from.

Take care and have fun with your projects
    Little Fabrication

Miller DVI2
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    HF 130 tig

I agree with you jamlit. Its always interesting to hear everyones opinions and what they use. In my replies, I was referring to a "horizontal" band saw as a prefrence over the chop saw. I actually have all. Chop saw, horizontal band saw, vertical band saw, and a porta band. The "horizontal" saw by far is cheapest to use especially if you have one that has coolant pump on it. Blades last a long time. But...Sometimes the chop saw works to. Just buy em all over time
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Lets toss another one "in the mix" if you will....a portable cold saw....catalogue I got today shows $895.00 and it is far above and beyond the quality cut a chop or band saw could ever produce.
    Mike

http://vansantent.com/Saws/Hyd_mech_...e_cold_saw.htm
    HH210 with SG

Your right, we tried a demo. Like a wood cutting circular saw but turned slow. Cut a piece of 3/8 flat bar right off. very smooth. No sparks and catches the metal chips. They also make bench models. Pretty cool. I think it was an "evolution" brand. Chop saw is $449.88 with blade about $100.00. The circular saw model is about $300.00 or so. At least according to the sales flyer from my local welding supplier.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

You are thinking about the Morse Metal D evil line...... I tried the blades in my circular saw (talked with there eng. dept. they said it would work just fine) it did o.k. but just didn't last......... for that much $ I'd go with a Millwakee first...... the cold saw I listed is different as it uses a coolant system and turns at 50 RPM's and the cut quality is awsome.
    Mike
    HH210 with SG

My Ronco saw. Set it and forget it!

Default Chop Saw or Band Saw

I started out with an abrasive chop saw, migrated to a cut-off blade on my angle grinder (for small work) - then to a portable bandsaw. I'm now shopping for a horizontal band saw for my shop (hobby). The band saw gives me a more precise cut (less grinding & fitting), without the fire starting sparks of an abrasive wheel.

I'm not selling nor do I have an interest in Stout tools - but I bought their portable band saw and table stand for about $200US - it can cut up to 1 1/2inch stock. That being said - as a hobbyist I rarely work with big stock or thick plate. The band saw cut time on 1/8" X 1" 90 degree angle is about the same as my angle grinder - less noise and no sparks...

Steve