Hey Guys First Time On The Board
    Just Got Into Welding And I Think Its Great
    I Already Got About 3 Or 4 Different Projects I Want To Do
    But I Need The Right Tools First
    What Do You Think The First Cutting Tool Should Be
    A Chop Saw Or A Portable Band Saw
    This Is Not My Job Just For Fun
    Thanks In Advance To All Who Reply

As you can see, the software editted the CapsLock; it's best just to make sure it's off first.

This is a common question, but we'd need to know more about what types of things you are planning to make. Both saws will do most jobs.

The bandsaw is quieter and less messy, but much slower and less portable. Both are accurate within their respective "you get what you pay for" areas.

You might also look at the carbide "chop saws" as opposed to the abrasive ones.

the standard abrasive chop saw is the much more versitile than a band saw, if your going to buy anything, buy a chop saw

band saws are good when you can stack pieces, or have thick pieces to cut, but for general fab the chop saw own's all

Another idea to toss at ya as well would be this in a regular chop saw....
    http://www.bulletindustries.com/cata...roducts_id/449
    as far as "first cutting tool" do you have a grinder yet.....if not get one and some cut off wheels for it as well......I started with this and then moved to a jig saw......then added a saws all........I have a port band saw as well it is slow and is very easy to put too much pressure on it and away goes the squareness of the cut......I like my chop saw and am working on my O/A set up....just need tanks......
    Good luck,
    Mike
    George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 with SG

Quote Originally Posted by 84ZMike View Post
    Another idea to toss at ya as well would be this in a regular chop saw....
    http://www.bulletindustries.com/cata...roducts_id/449
    as far as "first cutting tool" do you have a grinder yet.....if not get one and some cut off wheels for it as well......I started with this and then moved to a jig saw......then added a saws all........I have a port band saw as well it is slow and is very easy to put too much pressure on it and away goes the squareness of the cut......I like my chop saw and am working on my O/A set up....just need tanks......
    Good luck,
    Mike

Wondering how these work in regular a chop saw designed for regular friction abrasive?? I am liking the price

Quote Originally Posted by J&J Speed Shop View Post
    Wondering how these work in regular a chop saw designed for regular friction abrasive?? I am liking the price
    I agree, that price is very attractive, and the video at that link seems to show it being used in a regular chop saw.

Hawk Saw Blades makes a metal cutting blade in various sizes. I've used their "Metal D*e*v*i*l" (can't believe word was censored!) in a regular circular saw to cut pieces out of a 3/8 plate.

(if you want to use the link, you'll have to manually enter the censored word replacing the asterisks in the link after your browser tells you it can't find the page)
    Last edited by envano; 06-14-2007 at 08:45 AM. Reason: censored word in link
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS

I would imagine the teeth would not last very long at the speeds an abrasive saw turns. 14 inch Abrasive saws turn at 3800 rpm compared to 1490 for Carbide tipped blades. These speeds are from the Hitachi Site, but other brands would have similar speeds. The heat would kill them fast....Paul
    Last edited by paulrbrown; 04-03-2007 at 04:16 AM.
    More Spark Today Please

you might get by with a 4&1/2 inch grinder with cutoff disk about $20.00 at Harbor Freight. Depends on what you want to cut, and how critical the angles are that you want to make.
    Jim

Default Chop Saw

If you can handle the noise, a chop saw would be the better purchase to start. I am under the presumption that you are not talking about a hand-held metal band saw; I rarely received a straight cut from them. Obviously, get the angle grinder before the chop saw as the others have said.

Buy both. Different machines for different uses.
    Matt Adams A&P, IA
    Trailblazer 302
    Dialarc HF