Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Talking A very happy day

Today I got a letter in the mail saying I got accepted into the Holland College welding fabrication program. I can actually say I am one step closer to my dream job. I know that things are only going to get better (I hope) for me as my life goes a step further away from being an teenager. Does anyone have any advice for any brand names for tools to look into for my vice grips C clamps and they want me tog et flame resistant coveralls they have it priced at $200. So if I can get some brands form you guys that would really give me a good start to figure out what I need to buy and price it.

Default Ryan

Mostly at my construction site, everyone (the general and subcontractors) uses DeWalt cordless, probably 'cause they buy the 5 piece combo kit. Prices are about $500-$600 (get the one with the 4 1/2" grinder), batteries are @ $90 each. I have a Ryobi cordless grinder I got last week from Home Depot 'cause I was desperate for something fast and paid $100 for the grinder,2 batteries and the charger. Remember, you get what you pay for! DeWalt batteries last 4-8 times longer than my Ryobi. See a lot of Milwaukee and Portaband (portable bandsaw is popular). Lot of people buy them at Costco, Home Depot and Lowes. See what you kind find on eBay through a reputable store. Sure you can get it a lot cheaper.
    ****Remember, you get what you pay for! ****
    good luck
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Default Good quality is worth the price

When you are looking at tools such as hand clamps or vice grips don't cheap out. Go for a quality brand such as Irwin. While that three dollar special that is fresh of the boat from China might seem like a good deal, It will only bring fustration to you. You get what you pay for.
    If you have to buy any bar clamps, save your pretty pennies and go for a Bessey. They may cost an arm and a leg, but they are the best and they will still be along long after you have left the world.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long