Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Finishing Stainless steel

I have a project that i'm working on, it's 3 brackets to hold a foot rest on a bar. The bar is 7' long stainless and has a brushed finish (#4). How can i produce the same finish on the three brackets? Also how do i go about getting rid of the colouration from welding?? This is my first attempt at tigging stainless. Any suggestions?

Cool

You can use a 3M Scotch-Brite pad on a 4 1/2" grinder. You need a special backing pad. You can get the pads in different grits (colors). You can also hand sand it with a larger Scotch-Brite pad, try to make the grain run the same way as it is running now. Do a google search to find where to buy...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default get r done?

Quote Originally Posted by Cole
    I have a project that i'm working on, it's 3 brackets to hold a foot rest on a bar. The bar is 7' long stainless and has a brushed finish (#4). How can i produce the same finish on the three brackets? Also how do i go about getting rid of the colouration from welding?? This is my first attempt at tigging stainless. Any suggestions?
    Cole, Did you get your project done? Just wondering how it came out?
    Farris
    Gone But Never Forgotten!

Default In the works

I haven't got this job started yet. Waiting on the ok to go ahead from my first customer. Customers are hard to come by when your first starting out, and when your young. i'll let ya know how it goes, or if it goes?

You can get flapper wheels with scotchbrite pad in them that work real good on stainless. Also if you hand rub long sections with scotchbright , make sure you dont zig zag at the ends of the strokes so you dont get hook marks in the grain pattern. Another iteresting pattern is to use an orbital sander, but test it on scrap to make sure you like it. Its hard to blend that kind of pattern into corners. I some times used the orbital to recover badly scratched brass letters when I was in the sign trade.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Scotch Brite, either by hand or with a belt sander. Go with the grain.

scotch bright by hand is your safest bet because you'll have more control of the finished product.

with the grain!!

your answer to removing heat traces is "pickling paste". careful its highly acidic. wear glasses and gloves

Try a grainer... I saw the local bar maker use one, its a wheel about 10" in diameter, hook it in a drill and voila. Perfect grain, fast. He said they were ~$60 though.

Default grainer?

If you could provide more info I would appreciate it. I would like to try it.
    Thanks.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Default In Line Sander

I wondered about the same question that you had (way back when)and saw alot of different ways of trying to finish the S/S in order to match the original #4 finish. Our metal dept uses a flap wheel on # 4 finish and in my mind it doesn't do it any justice. With any kind of a wheel finisher they are ususlly going at such a high rate of speed and uneven pressure applied by hand that its hard to get a consistant finish with them. They are not that wide also, you see all the overlaps. The shop also uses a random orbital sander with a green 3M scotchbrite pad on it for 2B finish which I don't like at all. After the metal dept is done with the unit, it is shipped over to my dept for final assembly. I would always try and improve the graining of the metal using various techniques. I finally got to visit a high end metal fabricating shop and the owner told me that they used an IN LINE VIBRATING SANDER (pneumatic)for matching up the grain. I purchased one and found it to be excellent for graining. I have tried a belt sander also but it did not give the kind of results that the in line sander did. It was a little expensive (About $230.00) but if you think that you will be doing more of this kind of work, it will be one of your best tools. I also use this on 2b finished S/S on the corners that are welded and ground. I tape a thin straight edge ( plastic laminate) under each side of the ground corner and run the sander over it until its nice and uniformed. when you remove the tape and laminate you have a nice straight line in all corners where it was ground. Very professional looking. It takes time but its worth it. Especially if your just starting out in business. P/S I am a cabinetmaker but have just recently purchased a tig and a mig welder in order to maybe experiment and help out our metal dept out further. He is an old dog with little patience and old ways. Good Luck
    Last edited by redmule1154; 12-24-2007 at 07:29 AM.