Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question about 7014 Rod

I'm in the process of building a gated entrance and tried using 7014 rods today to weld the horizontal railings in. These are used oilfield pipe that I would normally weld with 6010.

Well, I never did get the hang of the 7014 and switched back to the 6010. I had to run the 1/8 7014 rods much hotter than I would my 6010 and the DIG function didn't seem to have any affect. I had most trouble with the downhill portion of the saddle welds not holding the puddle. I know the 7014 puts out a pretty weld, but I can only get it run well in a flat position. The 6010 seems to be a better all postion rod.

Is it just me or is this how it goes?

You would have had much more fun running the 7014 up not down.

Other than price why not go to 7018? In the right hands it will shame 7014 in looks.
    TJ
    TJ______________________________________

FAT-FAB is right you would have much better luck running up. I agree with him ahy not 7018. This guy knows what he is talking about.

Good luck
    Wheelchair

Talking 7014, The best rod for a John Deer

These guys are right, I know 7014 rod as farmer rod too. If you run it on ac you can weld real light gauge metal with it. I have run it on the inside of wide flange cause you dont get arc blow if you run it AC(when I had my 301G) Farmers like it cause its easy to start and they look like they know what they are doing when their done a weld. I think its a build up rod like 24 and 27 or another name for this group of rod is jet rod I think(?) Like coal said, You just have to run a 1/2 box to get on to it. Remember thats why we have grinders
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
    and easily upset
    go flames go

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

I hardly ever use 7018 because of their short life once the can is opened. I don't do any code welding - just mainly pipe fencing around the farm. My portable welder can sit for two or three months between projects. I mainly use 6010 and can run downhill fairly good and rod storage isn't a concern.

I do have a small package of 7018 laying around. Maybe I'll crack them open and give them a try. Should I run them downhill or up?

Thanks again.

Depending on the can i do know that most 7018's (anyones brand) should come in 5lbs tubes/cans and 10lbs tubes/cans as well as your standard 50lbs can. I know that we always couldn't keep enough 7018 5lbs cans in stock because guys liked not having to leave a whole 50lbs can open.
    BC

Dynasty 200DX
    Coolmate 3
    MM210 w/3035 spoolgun
    Cutmaster 101
    LC1230 12" Metal Cutting Saw

Default Let her buck

Quote Originally Posted by garybdavis View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies.
    I hardly ever use 7018 because of their short life once the can is opened. I don't do any code welding - just mainly pipe fencing around the farm. My portable welder can sit for two or three months between projects. I mainly use 6010 and can run downhill fairly good and rod storage isn't a concern.I do have a small package of 7018 laying around. Maybe I'll crack them open and give them a try. Should I run them downhill or up?
    Thanks again.
    If you listen to a pipeliner he'll say downhand, if you listen to a pipe faber he'll say up hand If you up hand you'll burn more rod but have a real strong weld, good for keeping in hippo's, gorillas, rhino's etc. If you downhand your welds you maybe be able to keep in the wildest bronc, the meanest cow and the baddest herd bull and you'll get done way faster and use way less rod If you look like a uphand welder people may stop and ask you to do their fence as well, if you look like a downhand welder people will look the other way, mothers will hold their children tight and say dont "look at the pipeline welder", people will go to the other side of the street to walk, they will not make eye contact WHY? cause if people think your a pipeline welder, they will think your one mean a$s welder. As you can see their are many things that come into play when you pick your weld procedure. I would down hand it if I was you, you'll get done way faster and you'll look real cool doing it but
    thats just me
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    and easily upset
    go flames go

Well, I spent part of the morning grinding out the worst of the 7014 welds and covering them with a 6010 downhill pass. The beads are a bit wide, but they look okay.

So much for my 7014 experiment. I'll stick with what I know (the 6010), and give my 7014 rods to my buddy who swears by them.

Pipeline Dan, I think you have a case of "pipeliner's complex".

Thanks for everyone's feedback.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by garybdavis View Post
    Pipeline Dan, I think you have a case of "pipeliner's complex". Thanks for everyone's feedback.
    Gary there is nothing wrong with that weld, looks alright to me. I like the gate entrance you have its very Texanish(if thats a word). I got a trailer pit here at my house from a guy in Calgary,I am just doing some work on it for him.

Heres a few pictures of it, tell me what you/anyone thinks of it just look'en for some feed back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    and easily upset
    go flames go

Yep, Texasanish for sure.

Geez, 18Gs is a lot of money for a BBQ pit - Canadian or US dollars.

I'd like to see some close up pictures of the welds, see how the doors fit, how the cooking grates are built and other misc details. From the looks of it, the firebox is not insulated. For that kind of money, it should be.